Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Friday, April 18, 2008

PJ Stock on Hockey Night in Canada- Thanks Scott Moore, Rugby Action in the Valley this weekend.

Yes, that's a darn long title. Alot to yak about today though. First off-

If I was coaching the New Jersey Devils or Anaheim Ducks tonight, and the Capitals/Flames/Wild/Bruins over the weekend, I'd be bringing up this little tidbit for motivation. I wonder if any of the hockey broadcasts will pick up on this historical fact tonight? Probably not.

maple leafToday's Canadian Headline...
1942 THE COMEBACK LEAFS

Toronto Ontario - Toronto Maple Leafs pull off the greatest comeback in NHL playoff history with their fourth straight win, a 3-1 victory over Detroit Red Wings, winning the Stanley Cup 4 games to 3. Maple Leafs goalie Turk Broda lets in just seven goals in the final four games.


Ok- A warning- time for some OPINION. Just mine, doesn't have to be yours. About this time last year I made a big post about the play-by-play personalities on TV. It generated more comments than just about any other post I've had. WHY? I don't know, but I think it is simply because us Canucks take hockey seriously, and how and who we watch it through seriously.
"Stocker" PJ Stock as a Junior in the Q. He doesn't look much different now does he?

Well, there was a time a short while ago when I didn't think I would be saying this- but MAN is PJ Stock ever growing on me. I've had plenty of people talk to me about PJ's work on HNIC, and most comments haven't been good ones.

Just yesterday someone said the same thing- "wow I don't like PJ Stock, he's brutal" What came out of my mouth next surprised me. I said "Ya know what, he's actually starting to grow on me, he at least has personality"

Last night during the Flames vs. Sharks game he was hilarious. You can tell he was a "beaker" back in his playing days (not too long ago) when after Stock talked about seeing "nothing but net" when he scored on him in his playing days, Kelly Hrudey fired back with a shot about his ice time. PJ started singing "I scored on Kelly Hrudeyyyyy....I scored on Kelly Hrudeyyyyy"

I laughed my arse of.

Ron McLean asked him when he could work next, and PJ said "Sunday....day of the lord....hmmm"

Funny, funny stuff.

I like personality when I feel it is GENUINE and not forced and fake. It's all a matter of the viewer and how they read the person speaking to them. In this viewers opinion, PJ seems like the REAL DEAL to me, honest and not forced and fake. And I guess that is why he's growing on me and I'm starting to like the guy.

Now, lets be honest here- PJ still needs a little work, and he's still as far as I know a relative rookie when it comes to being on camera and doing highlight packs and doing stand ups. This is where I think CBC Sports Executive Director Scott Moore deserves some credit. CBC is always the most professional broadcast out there in my opinion. All of their on air personalities are seasoned vets, and true pros. In comes Stock, who certainly isn't any of the above. This isn't a slam on PJ Stock. I'm sure the fact that he managed to make the NHL as an undersized scrapper shows that he has the determination to probably one day be a mistake free pro like the rest of the CBC'ers. Right now, he isn't, and THAT is why I think he's there. I certainly can't think for Scott Moore, but I imagine he realized that the broadcast needed a little spicing up and a little personality and fun. Stock brings all of that. Don Cherry can't be everything you know.

Think back a couple of years to Kelly Hrudey when he came aboard. He was green and new and inexperienced and made a tonne of mistakes. Now, he's a very enjoyable and very solid part of the broadcast.

Having PJ Stock doing what he's doing gives hope to a guy like me, hope that Scott Moore is indeed a guy willing to take a chance on someone he realizes has great potential, but might need a little work. Yes, I know Mr. Moore isn't reading this blog any time soon-

BUT IF YOU ARE OUT THERE SCOTT, I KNOW AN UNKNOWN BUT VERY TALTENTED PLAY-BY-PLAY GUY THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE A SHOT ON

Ok OUCH reality just smacked me in the forehead. Hey, we can all dream right?

Movin' on.
___________________________________________________________________
The Black Sheep Rugby Club has an "International Friendly" tomorrow at the pitch at the top of Argyle, as they host a touring side from the SCEGGS Redlands School in Cremorne Sydney, Australia. The two teams have a joint training session tomorrow morning before they kick it up a notch for a match in the afternoon. Kickoff is 2:30pm. You are encouraged to head out and support our Junior players in what should be an entertaining game.

That's about it for today.

GO PREDS tonight.

Thanks as always for reading. Would love to hear your opinions by way of a comment below.
Hammer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I scored on Kelly Hrudeyyyyy" I think that PJ is great fun !!! Helps me from biting my fingers off when the flames are playing. I did think they outplayed the Sharks last night.

Patti said...

Hey Hammer I must say PJ has really grown on me to. His stand ups with Ron were not that good but now that HNIC has him just watching games and showing highlights with the hockey humour that you and I know he has been much more entertaining to watch.