Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Friday, December 07, 2007

Points to ponder for a Friday off...

....A Friday off from hockey, at least.

OH NO I'M MAKING YOU READ!

Suck it up! haha.

I came across this story that really hooked my attention- I'll cut and paste the parts that matter- from the Edmonton Journal

One-sided Oilers coverage doesn't impress

I'm sick and tired of the fawning broadcast coverage of Oilers games. Recently, Oilers players were given all three stars by the pay-per-view broadcast team -- after a loss! Embarrassing. Pravda was more objective. Props to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada for allowing its on-air staff to at least sometimes call 'em as they see 'em. But pay-per-view broadcasters -- and some on the TV sports networks -- are little more than propagandists for team and league. Their telecasts should begin with a warning: The following is a paid advertisement for the Edmonton Oilers hockey club.CHED radio's Rod Phillips manages to walk a fine line between homer and critic. I remain a huge fan of Rod, who is far more entertaining than the game on many nights. It's a given that Rod will criticize the refs. But he isn't afraid to slam the team's play. Props to him, too. I realize that NHL broadcasters are in a difficult position. They must purchase the broadcast rights from the league, or individual teams. But their rah-rah commentary, especially during dull or mistake-filled games, insults our intelligence. I hate that.
______________________________________________________________


And that right there is my perpetual battle. No one knows what a play-by-play broadcasters go through. Unless it's someone that's been live on the air before, or speaking live before a large crowd reacting to something happening live right in front of them as they speak. Then they can probably relate.

The battle is- How do you cover the game, what do you see, what do you say?

All in a days work for me. It's a little more difficult to keep everyone happy when the team has the record they do right now though. It's always easier when the team is winning. Easier for the radio guy, the coaches, the players, the fans, the bus driver, the public address announcer, the office people....and it goes on.

I get it from both sides. And the funny thing is that those on either side would have NO CLUE that anyone is on the other side of the fence. What exactly do I mean?

It's either A or B.

A is- I get heat from people because I'm not positive enough, I'm too critical, blah blah.
B is- I get heat from people because I'm an unabashed homer who's way too nice, blind to what's really happening, not critical enough blah blah.

I just try to be C. I call it like I see it. Having said that, I ALWAYS try to be positive. I am not told to be positive. I choose to be. The glass is always half full. It's not easy all the time.
I work in accordance with the team. I know the players and coaches. I look them in the eye and ride the bus with them and sit down to dinner with them. I'm not going to bash them. At the same time, I'm not going to lie to the fans either. If I think the team got out worked, I say they got out worked. If I think they weren't ready I'll say they weren't ready. I'm just honest. So shoot me. I tell the truth, it's easier to remember!

You'll notice I am saying "if I THINK..." I've said it before, I'll reiterate it again- It's just my opinion, not gospel. I never try to sell it as anything but that. I know full well that opinions are like medulla oblongatas, every body's got one.

I first heard that line back in 1999 as a rookie broadcaster from Kerry Clark, (Wendel Clark's brother) when he was the coach of the OCN Blizzard. He didn't agree with what I said on the air, and said that line....He didn't say medulla oblongatas though, but something that you really shouldn't really say on the radio. Being that he's a former minor league enforcer, a tough as nails farm kid from Kelvington Saskatchewan, I'll let you guess what he said.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned for me.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from and how I call the game, for those that didn't know already!
_____________________________________________________________
Be careful what you say.

I recently had someone take issue with something I said during a broadcast. And no, the above writings are not in response to this.

Anyway, 34 games in and this is the first occurrence this season, that could be a new record!

The root of this issue was that I "assumed" something. I apologized to the person for this and said "no, you're right, I shouldn't have assumed I'm sorry"

I had to laugh a mere second later when the person said that they then assumed something in response to my assumption...HAHA. I said "woah, wait a minute....you take issue with me assuming and then do the exact same thing and assume yourself?"

I guess it's true, "assuming makes and ass out of me and an ass out of you" If you have heard the phrase used before. No, I'm not saying you are an ass if you are reading this. Please don't assume that! haha.

I do indeed care 100% about any comments that are put my way regarding the broadcast. Anyone that has raised an issue with me or has given advice or criticism to me can attest to that statement.

The fact that the above mentioned issue was raised to me in the middle of the packed lobby of the rink as I'm running around frantically like a chicken with it's head cut off as I was supposed to be on the air 5 MINUTES AGO and I still don't even know at the time if we even have a game or not because there's no refs- yet I still stopped to address the issue- should prove that I care. There's a time and a place. That wasn't it.

For future reference- anyone and everyone- please feel free to email me, comment on the blog to me, or phone me, should you have a concern/complaint/suggestion/criticism, etc etc etc. It's not like I haven't mentioned that a 100 times. When I'm at the rink, I'm at work, trying to do my job. I'll do what I can, but no promises.

Man, I guess I need a game to do today, too much free time to post and think about this stuff!

If theres one thing that the very start of this post today tells me, it's that there will probably be a time that when I advance from this level and league and market that I will have to just not care what people say about me- like that Oilers newspaper story- but I'm not at that point yet!
_______________________________________________________________
The Dogs begin a two game weekend tomorrow when they host the Langley Chiefs. More on that game tomorrow.

In closing, I just want to say thanks to Kevin Ross's dad Martin for his nice note to me regarding my post on the Bulldogs Christmas Party, the positivity I try to bring, how I call the game, etc.

A note like yours was much appreciated Martin, and I appreciate you taking the time to write me. It's good to hear positive stuff every once and a while!

Thanks again!

And thanks for checking the blog! More pictures and less reading tomorrow, I promise!

Hammer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh quit being so negative Hammer

haha JK

Anonymous said...

Keep your head up hammy its alway the darkest before the sun comes up it has to get better you guys cant lose all the games