Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Grizz 3 Dogs 0

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs had their 5 game winning streak snapped with a 3-0 loss to the Grizzlies tonight at Bear Mountain Arena.

The Dogs fell down 1-0 ten minutes in, and then 2-0 with five to play.

The Dogs then got in penalty trouble, down two men for well over a minute. They came up with a big penalty kill, and futher seemed to gain momentum with a goal to make it 2-1. The goal however after some discussion would be disallowed.

The goal would prove to be a huge turning point as the Dogs didn't find the net after that as the Grizzlies added one more on a Jordan Heywood powerplay blast in the second for the 3-0 final.

Save from the 5 on 3 kill and the disallowed goal that followed, the Dogs didn't really have much in the way of offense in this one, generating just 19 shots. The Grizz didn't exactly shoot the lights out either putting 26 shots on net but they certainly out chanced the Dogs.

You can't win them all, and I don't think the Dogs will win many on nights like this one with how they played.

Just my two cents.

Now for my two bits.

I was quite shocked and ashamed - as I said on the air - when a doctor was called over the public address late in the game to the Bulldogs dressing room, which was met with a loud cheer and high fives by a group of Victoria die hards surrounding the broadcast booth.

During a commercial break I opened the door and said to the fans " Did they just call a doctor to our dressing room, and did you all cheer? You should be ashamed of yourselves"

First things first - I've never had a problem in Victoria. Quite the contrary actually. There's a great group of off ice volunteers and office people and game day staffers that I always enjoy chatting with on my trips to Vic.

And they have a great group of diehards that support their team, cheers, chants, rituals and the like. That's awesome stuff.

But if your ritual is to all cheer and high-five when the doctor gets called to a dressing room, yiu might want to take a long look at that one.


Maybe I feel this way because I just saw a player on Sunday get his face destroyed, and his career and life possibly changed as a result.

Maybe its because I know these guys are all kids, and humans, no matter what team they play for. Sons, grandsons, brothers. You get the picture.

In the end it gives me a greater respect and admiration for the fans in Port Alberni. A kid gets hurt from the other team in the Dog Pound, and when he gets up, its to a loud ovation. A kid gets seriously hurt like he did on Sunday, and I receive dozens of emails, texts, and phone calls from Bulldog fans into the night inquiring about the health of the Burnaby player and sending him well wishes.

Best fans in the league.

I'm not painting all the Grizz fans with the same brush, and I'm in now way attaching their actions to the organization in any way. So don't take it that way.

I'm just hoping maybe one or two of the people that cheered when the doctor was called will reflect a bit. Hey, I get fired up to and get caught in the emotion of things too. But I NEVER get my excitement from kids getting hurt. And neither should you.

Hammer


Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

No comments: