Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Canadian AND Community Pride Abound in Port Alberni on Canada Day

Well, WOW is about all I can say. It was apparently the longest Canada day parade ever today in Port Alberni. It had to be at least an hour. I don't know how long it took to get to us but it ended just shortly before 12 noon and started at 10am.

I was sitting next to a couple from Victoria, who left their camp site at Sproat Lake to come into town to see what Canada Day and Port Alberni are all about. About halfway through the parade (although we didn't know it was only HALF way at this point) the man said "wow, this is a pretty long parade!" If he only knew it was only half done!

I know for sure they were impressed with Port Alberni's community SPIRIT.

You can't describe it, and you can't teach it. It is just a part of the fabric of this city. In my humble opinion, it's a HUGE factor in making this city a great place to live!

Here's some pictures I took off my camera phone - a HTC 6800 from Bell.
(a cell carrier/shop really needs to sponsor this "feature" don't they?)

Parade getting to us
Below is my buddy Jacob, who was nice enough to share his candy haul with me as the "big kids" don't get any! Thanks Jacob! (don't mind my thumb, haha!)

Tom McEvay and Corey Curtis, from the 2009 WORLD U17 HOCKEY CHALLENGE FLOAT


Jessica and friends with the 93.3 THE PEAK FM Community Cruiser. Way to go Peak People!

My favorite part of the parade is always the old trucks and cars- many from the Alberni Valley Industrial Heritage Society. Port Alberni Mayor Ken McRae waves to the crowd below, along with City Councillor Hira Chopra. 1937 truck and OLD Ike Patterson. Who's older Ike?

Below-Helma Swinkels approaches me from the Alberni Valley Hospice Society. They are raffling off a QUAD all summer long to raise funds so get a ticket! Only 2000 will be printed. Also coming up this summer- THUNDER IN THE VALLEY Sweet wheels!

This gal below was the flag bearer for the Alberni Motocross Riders. Of course Alberni Motocross hosts the BC Provincial Motocross Championships NEXT WEEKEND!
I forgot my phone when we went down to Glenwood Centre to sing O Canada and Happy Birthday to Canada and to have a piece of Canada's Birthday Cake, but there were hundreds of people there too!

Way to go Port Alberni and way to go FolkFest Multicultural Society for doing such a great job with the parade and the celebrations at Glenwood!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Toronto your favorite team again?

Anonymous said...

You are underpayed.Hammer!

Hammer said...

I think I need you to be my boss!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hammer remember the other couple sitting at the curbside for the parade.well I just wanted to say thanks and we are glad we got to meet ''THE HAMMER'' and thanks for the awesome picture of our friend Jacob and the parade.

Hammer said...

I certainly do remember Barb!

Thanks for visiting the blog, it was a pleasure to meet you!

H