Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy day MOM, RBC Cup Finals, No suspension for Ribeiro, the price of peace keeping.

Hello, and thanks for stopping by the blog. First and foremost- THANKS FOR EVERYTHING MOM! Yes, of course I called my mom this morning and had a good chat with her about old times and current events and about how lucky of a guy I am to have had her. In response to my recent posting of "The Musings of a Hockey Mom" I told my mom that she should write me some stories for my blog regarding all her Hockey Mom adventures with her son. She says she'll see what she can do. I'm sure the readers will enjoy these. Thanks again mom, love ya!

Sitting down right now to watch the Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL and Humboldt Broncos of the SJHL square off for the Canadian Junior A Title live on TSN.

Both of these teams have won an RBC before, and both of these teams have won a title before. Camrose won in 2001 in Flin Flon, while Humboldt won in 2003 in Charlottetown, PEI over-Camrose. The Kodiaks were also in the RBC Cup Championship game in 2005 in Weyburn when they lost in the last moments of regulation off a fluke goal to the host Red Wings.
_____________________________________
Anyone see Chris Osgood throw the "excuse me" butt-end in the face of Mike Ribeiro, and then Ribeiro slash Osgood back? Talking to my dad today he says he did that one all the time playing goal. He even claims he did it twice in the same game to the same guy from the Winnipeg Jets back in the late 60's. I must confess I did it a time or two myself, but not twice in a game. My dad believes Mike Rebeiro will get a suspension for his slash, but I beg to differ. They certainly don't want to suspend the starting goalie of one team for a star player for another. Just my guess on this one.

If you missed it, check out the video from TSN.CA

After writing my recent V-E DAY post, my good friend Bruce Sly sent me a story involving his family that reminded me not only of the price paid for our freedom and the horrors of war, but also the price of peace keeping. Here's the back ground info from Bruce in an email.

After looking over you latest Blog post just now I thought I would share this current event in our family.
Just recently a Lake in Sask. has been named for Kim's Uncle (Kim is Bruce's wife) as the article explains. We named Our Son after his Uncle. Victory Day in Europe was a terrific day too be sure, but
Peace and all the people involved in Europe that day would rather be home with their families.
August 9th Peacekeepers Day. Peace and War cost lives and it is brutal, awful stuff to say the very least.

Here is the story- Thanks for the note Bruce, I think it is very cool that Saskatchewan does this.

The Government of Saskatchewan recently announced the naming of Mirau Lake in memory of Captain Keith Mirau, formerly of Gull Lake, who, along with eight other members of the Canadian Forces died when their Canadian Forces Buffalo aircraft was shot down over Syria on August 9th, 1974. Captain Mirau and the other military personnel on the aircraft were on peace keeping duties in the Middle East when the event occurred.

Keith was raised and went to school in Gull Lake before joining the Canadian Forces as a pilot and is the son of Hilda and the late Arnold Mirau. Hilda is still a resident of Gull Lake. Keith served as a pilot instructor at the Canadian Forces Base in Moose Jaw early in his career in the air force and was stationed in Trenton, Ontario when he went to the Middle East on peacekeeping duties. He was 29 years old when he died.

The August 9th, 1974 event represents the largest single loss of Canadian military personnel on peace keeping duties and August 9th is now known as Peacekeepers Day. The Government of Saskatchewan formerly recognized August 9th as Peacekeepers Day in 2006. This day, meant to honour and commemorate the “Buffalo Nine” and other Canadian peacekeepers that have been killed while serving, has also been formally recognized by British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador. The Government of Canada and other provinces are also in the process of formally designating August 9th as Peacekeepers Day.

Mirau Lake is in northern Saskatchewan, approximately 400 kilometres north of North Battleford. The Government of Saskatchewan presented the Mirau family with a scroll confirming the naming of the lake. Saskatchewan has a policy of naming geographic features to honour Saskatchewan born military personnel who have lost their lives during active service.

That's it for today- Happy Mothers Day again to all the moms out there!

Hammer

No comments: