Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Blogger on Short Vacation, Bob Cole calling last Cup Final, Dogs tixs, Ovechkin reveals the story behind the LUCKY LOONIE from the World Championships

Today will be the last posting probably for a couple of days as I'm off to Manitoba via Nanaimo and then YVR today for a quick vacation.

Here's a couple of cool reads and great overall blogs to read in my absence.

First is the story of the 1957 Memorial Cup Champion Flin Flon Bombers. A must read for the hockey fan is the continuing history of the Memorial Cup from Gregg Drinnan's blog TAKING NOTE

Also, I talk all the time about Rod Pedersen's great blog. Rod is the play-by-play voice of the Saskatchewan Rough Riders and the Regina Pats of the WHL. He has a great blog talking about all things sports, lifestyle, politics even sometimes, you name it.

Recently, he had a great post about Don Cherry. It really sums up my thoughts on THE DON. I couldn't have said it better myself! Read the post on Rod Pedersen's blog here RODPEDERSEN.COM

My blogger-friend Hockey Mom in VA runs the blog "Musings of a Hockey Mom" where she looks at hockey from the unique hockey mom perspective.

_______________________________
It came out this week that Bob Cole was calling his last Stanley Cup Finals.
On one hand, I am saddened to hear this.
I still very much love Bob and I am still blown away by his ability to capture the EMOTION of the game and his passionate call and great pipes will never go away. I am saddened because more and more it seems that his ability to CALL the game just isn't there anymore ie-identifying the players, the penalties, the whistles, etc etc.
While I am sad to hear this because Bob Cole was the guy I grew up listening to and emulating, on the other hand I am happy because Jim Hughson will be getting what he so very much deserves- the right to call the biggest games in the sport. He IS that good, if you haven't realized!
It was just last year I made a post about how great Bob Cole was and still is. I still consider this to be his best work. I always called on this example of Mr. Cole due to so many people in Western Canada not liking him because he was so strongly linked to the Maple Leafs.
Everyone LOVED him and he was THE MAN in my opinion in 2002 when the Maple Leaf was RED.
JOE SAKIC. Chills up the spine for me with these great calls. Who knows when Canada will win it again? Yah 2010 with Chris Cuthbert calling it would be nice too!
Although it is NOT on purpose, I think there is A LOT of Bob Cole in my play-by-play call. Like I said, I grew up listening to the guy call all the big games. Alexander Ovechkin
__________________________________
Don't forget that the Bulldogs are releasing more seats in THE POUND to be sold as season tickets:
The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are releasing 50 seats to the public for season ticket purchases.
This will guarantee you a seat for the exciting upcoming season.
The office has an arena map showing what is available, so please stop in and pick your seat.
You will be able to do this starting June 3rd.
Office hours for June will be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10 am until 4pm.
Any questions, please call at 723-4412

Alexander Ovechkin was interviewed yesterday on TSN's THAT's HOCKEY about several things- the one that was most interesting to me was the topic of the Loonie under the ice at the Colisee Pepsi that the Russians dug out from the ice after they beat Canada in the Championship game. The story from Ovechkin was that they were having a team practice on the ice and they were all at centre ice when someone noticed the coin under the ice. They told each other then and there that if they WON, they would take the loonie. So it wasn't a conspiracy like I thought, that the Russians had somehow put their own coin under the ice in Canada.

In the end, of course Russia won and they indeed got the coin. Ovechkin said yesterday that he is going to get it made into a medallion. Cool. Even if Canada lost.

_________________________________
Don't forget to get out to THE ARGYLE PUB on Sunday from 3pm to 5pm for the "Celebrity BBQ" to support the Ty Watson House. I'm gone this weekend, but Jolie from THE PEAK will be filling in for me.
To date, over $250.00 has been raised for the charity. Thanks for the support people!!
That's it. I have a plane to catch! Thanks for reading!
Hammer

No comments: