Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jim Hughson, Chicago Stadium, two greats at once! + Nucks on THE PEAK tonight.

After a 4-1 loss to the Ducks in Anaheim last night, the Canucks look to bounce back in Phoenix tonight. We've got the pregame for you at 6:30 tonight with the play-by-play with Tom and Shortie just after 7:00 from jobing.com Arena. What a name!


Man I love youtube! I don't even know what I was looking for when I found the beauty you can watch below. THE ANTHEM at Chicago Stadium. The "Madhouse on Madison", what a great barn that was. I somehow stumbled onto this video of the great Wayne Messmer singing the Star Spangled Banner at Chicago Stadium. What makes the video even better is that when the anthem ends, it's JIM HUGHSON doing play-by-play! The final cherry on top happens when the 'Hawks score. What a great crowd, and what a loud building.

For some reason, the user on youtube has disabled embedding, so you'll have to click the link yourself-Just remember to come back after you watch because I have another great video.

Chicago Stadium, Jim Hughson with the play-by-play

I still remember the day I learned about the tradition in Chicago of the roaring applause the crowd gave the anthem. I was sitting in my living room with my dad watching the 1991 NHL All Star game. I was just a kid at the time, not even a teen. My dad told me of the tradition, and told me that with the recent happenings in the world (The Gulf War) that this anthem might be special. Well, he sure was right. And it sure was a great introduction to the tradition that happened in old Chicago Stadium before every game. It's not about the flag for me, I'm a Canadian after all. I just plain love a CROWD and anyone who knows me knows that.

Sitting on the bus for another long Bulldog roadie this year, the subject of the anthem in Chicago came up and Coach Alan Kerr talked about what it was like sitting in the dressing room in Chicago Stadium, hearing the pre game rumbles, walking up those stairs to the ice, and then being down at ice level for the anthem. He said it was beyond incredible. Again, I love youtube, because the subject came up and after coach was talking about how nuts it was in there I went and did a search and VOILA, I found a video from the very same night when I saw it for the first time. Incredible. Gotta love that old organ too.

It may not seem like much watching it now, but for me at the time it was CRAZY. I grew up "standing at attention" during the anthem and "showing respect". There certainly wasn't any noise and cheering beyond singing. I still don't think anything matches the Nucks and Oiler fans SINGING O Canada as one, but that's the patriot in me.






One FINAL youtube great. I still remember this, but I had forgotten until I again stumbled upon it. Big credit to the Americans, and especially Bostonians, for their reaction to people in Montreal booing the US Anthem. All class in Beantown. Never thought I would say that!



Hammer

No comments: