Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Dogs host Express, Courntall on Ross

Coming off a 3-2 OT loss in Victoria last night, the Dogs host the Burnaby Express tonight. Click the image below to enlarge the cheat sheet.Tonight's second intermission feature guest is Ron Gallo, the play-by-play voice of the Prince George Spruce Kings, who visit the Pound next Thursday.
___________________________________________________________
Courtnall on Ross. I reviewed the video of the Justin Courtnall hit on Kevin Ross on the bus last night. For those that missed it, Courtnall caught Ross coming out of the Dogs end with 1:06 left in regulation and knocked him out cold. Josh Pineiro took exception to the hit and dropped his gloves and went after Courtnall. Credit to Courtnall, at least he knows the CODE, so to speak. You knock a guy out, someone will most likely come after you. It's just the way the game goes. Anyway....Courtnall dropped his gloves and had a scuffle with Pineiro. He threw punches just like Pineiro did. I hesitate to call it a FIGHT because it wasn't much of one. By the letter of the RULE BOOK it was one though.

In the end, the game night referee somehowwas oblivious to this happening, or he wanted to put the boots to the Dogs intentionally. Either way it's bad. Josh Pineiro gets 2 for instigating (deserved), and five for fighting. Courtnall just gets 2 for roughing. And absolute joke. Cue overtime, where Courtnall gets the game winner.

Refereeing deciding the outcome of the game, exhibit A.

Anyway, that's just the facts.

The Courtnall hit was CLEAN. He did not leave his feet, he did not take more than three strides. Ross was shielded from seeing Courtnall coming at him by another Victoria player that had him screened. Shane Power from Lasting Images Photography sent me a picture of the millisecond before the hit. Feet planted, elbow down. Thanks for the picture Shane. Although a still image isn't able to show that Courtnall did not CHARGE the player to make the hit, you'll have to trust me when I say that I looked at the video, and he didn't. Anyone that has listened to me and has watched enough games know I tell it like I see it. When the officials call things the opposite of how things happen, that's when I get in trouble. I've always said it- If I sound bad for telling the truth, and I the one at fault? UH......NO.

One thing about the hit- contact to the head was certainly made. Feel free to call me old school on this, but I don't understand how a player is to blame for hitting another player if the player has their head down. What are you supposed to do? I'm all for eliminating HIGH HITS - meanin deliberate attempts to go after the head. What I am NOT FOR is taking hitting out of the game and punishing another player for catching an opponent with his head down.


photo: Shane Power, Lasting Images Photography

I have asked Shane if he has a picture of both players FIGHTING, GLOVES OFF, after the hit. I hope he does.

Edit- Hmm. I was hoping for an action shot of punches being thrown. This one is good enough. Gloves off.

Don't hesitate to drop me a line in the pressbox via email

Hammer

No comments: