Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Friday, August 18, 2023

An ode to Rick Jeanneret ....

 Hi everyone - thanks for checking the blog. 


Sad news came down yesterday, with the passing of Rick Jeanneret


I wasn't always a fan of his - I'm not really sure why I wasn't in the beginning. Maybe he was an "acquired taste" and I hadn't been exposed to him enough. 


Thankfully, with the advent of technology, I was able to watch more Sabres games, and hear more of his amazing play-by-play calls through Youtube and other means. 


The Hockey Hall of Fame named him their Foster Hewitt Award winner in 2012. He was with the Sabres starting in 1971 - their second season in existence. He called games for them on TV and/or Radio through the 2021-2022 season. He had the longest play-by-play career in NHL history. 


He loved his team and his city and their fans - and the team and the city and it's fans loved him back. We should all be so lucky. 


Some of these clips look like they were filmed on a potato! Yet, it's Rick that matters, and hearing him, over the din, that I just love and get goosebumps from. His high energy calls, combined with the incredible energy from the Buffalo fan base.... it's just plain amazing stuff. Hair standing up on the back of the neck stuff. I've spent a couple hours going down the rabbit hole trying to identify his best calls. 

I hope you enjoy watching and listening to this as much as I do. 


"THIS SERIES IS GOING BACK TO WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS"


"RICHARD SMELICK WITH A WOUNDED DUCK"


"MAY DAY , MAY DAY"


"THESE GUYS ARE SCARY GOOD"


"ARE YOU READY LEGION OF DOOM" 


"STUUUU BARNES"


"FA-LA-LA-LA-LAFONTAINE" (at Christmas) 


Just so many epic epic calls. I can't pick a favorite. I love the crowd just as much as him. The 06-07 (I believe) playoff clips of the Sabres tying it with 6 seconds left, and winning it in overtime... are hard to beat. 


Enjoy! 

Thanks for reading! 


UPDATE - I found the game tying and game winning goal calls referenced above. Magical! 



















Hammer




No comments: