Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

An ode to Chase Klassen..... and... who wears the "C" ?

 

I stumbled upon the below video on Social Media over the weekend. An entertaining watch (nice touch with the Metallica - but, needs more Hammer ;) ) that brought out some emotions and provoked some thoughts of the future of the Bulldogs. 


It suddenly hit me that Chase won't be out there this year. It's one of the facts of life of Junior Hockey - the circle of life, so to speak, if you are a Lion King fan....and who isn't, right?! Old guys graduate (yah, 20 is old, in the Junior Hockey game) and new guys come in. 


Despite all that, for me for some reason it's hard to think about Chase not being in a Bulldog sweater. He played over 150 games as a Bulldog- he played as an affiliate player in 2019-20, and then was one of the leaders of the 2020 "Pod season" At the 2021-2022 Year End Banquet, Joe Martin announced that he would be the Captain for the 2022-2023 season. 


He's a player that was somewhat from a different era. He was physically dominant and  put a little bit (or perhaps a lot) of fear into the opposition. He kept the other side.... honest. He found a way to walk the line most of the time to be able to still play a tough and physical game, when it seems more often than not now a days that you can't play that way anymore and it's the responsibility of the hitter, and not the hitee (is that english?) to protect and defend themselves. It's a contact sport - and Chase played the game that way. As you'll see in the below video! 




As someone who works in conjunction with the team, he was a classy and kind individual who always said Hello. My kids absolutely loved him from his appearances at their School, and I've heard countless stories of the difference he made with countless kids being involved with Alberni Valley Minor Hockey. 

While I travel with the team, eat with the team and spend an inordinate amount of time with them throughout the season I am NOT present in the "trenches" so to speak - I'm not on the bench, I'm not in the room, etc. but the fact he was named Captain says all you need to know about what Head Coach  Joe Martin thought of him and his character. I reached out to him, and others with the team to provide a few words on Chase.... 

From Bulldogs President David Michaud:

It was a gift to watch Chase Klassen grow with our organization from his rookie season during the pod, to finishing as our team captain in his final year.  The reason everyone loves Chase is because the combination of what makes him so special feels rare.  Not everyone has it in them to be like Chase.  That not a knock on other players, it’s praise for the human Chase Klassen has become.  I’ll personally miss having Chase around our group everyday, it will be different without him. 

From Bulldogs Assistant Coach Ryan Rehill:

I met Chase on the ice the summer before my first season coaching with the Bulldogs. Immediately he struck me as a confident, personable veteran player with great energy and hockey abilities. After reflecting on a full season with Chase, I realize that the first impression he gave me is exactly the person he is everyday. I think that is a large part of why Chase had such an impact on the Bulldogs and the Port Alberni community. He was always himself, nothing less. Chase was a fan favourite not just for his tenacity and energy that he brought to the ice, but for the person he is off the ice. Personable, confident, and genuine is how Chase was with anybody that he crossed paths with. There is no clearer example of character and leadership than being chosen Captain prior to camp for the upcoming season. It was a privilege to spend a season with Chase, he has left the Bulldogs and Alberni Valley better than he found them. 



 As for who wears the Captain's C this upcoming season? No idea. I have a couple guys in my head that from how they play, I think will be considered for the role. As I said earlier, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors or in the heat of the moment enough to make an educated guess, nor do I think it's fair to throw names about.


I look forward to finding out who is tasked with this job. I trust the management to make the right selection. It's an incredibly important one, and it takes a special individual to lead a team. There's a lot of pressure, there are expectations and duties that come with the title - it's not just a letter on a sweater, that's for sure. No successful team exists without great leadership, and the Bulldogs were blessed with it last season. 


As for what's next for Chase - I saw a post on Social Media that made me smile - but sadly I can't find it again! In it, it was announced that Chase will be working in an Assistant Coach role with the VIJHL's Westshore Wolves - where his Junior hockey career began. Outstanding news! 



Training Camp begins Friday at the Dawg Pound!


If you have thoughts on Chase, I'd love to see them in the comment section. 


Thanks as always for reading. 


Hammer 




No comments: