Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Friday, October 23, 2015

Dogs and Wild play to 3-3 tie

Tonight's Game Report is brought to you courtesy of the Best Western Plus Barclay Hotel

The BEST WESTERN PLUS Barclay Hotel, the largest full facility hotel in Port Alberni, BC. When staying with us there is no need to give up conveniences you are used to. You can discover treasures to take home at the Alberni Harbour Quay, and then browse our onsite Cold Beer, Wine Store and liquor store or retreat to our Stamps Cafe or Pastimes Sports Bar and Grill to enjoy a snack or to watch the game on our big screen TV. Then, relax in our sauna or pool before settling in our luxurious accommodations to enjoy the vintage wine picked up earlier. That's when you will truly understand why the tranquil setting of our hotel has been called the perfect place to call home. If traveling on business, our Port Alberni Hotel boasts over 4500 square feet of meeting space in four rooms that are perfect for small conventions, banquets, parties, meetings and weddings. AV equipment and catering are also available.

The game started about 15 minutes late after plenty of pomp and circumstance. While this sometimes has a negative effect one on side or the other, that didn't seem to be the case with both sides playing with pretty good pace early and looking sharp. The Wild would have the edge in shots and chances in the first, out-shooting the Dogs 12-3, with Carson Schamerhorn looking sharp in the Dogs net. At the same time the Bulldogs were guilty on two separate instances of turning something into nothing as they skated in on odd-man rushes that were very promising scoring chances. They would end up in nothing as on both instances a pass attempt failed to connect with the intended recipient. The Wild would throw a couple of hits late in the period that got the crowd going, but I really liked the Bulldogs response as they pushed back and hit back in a big way. Shots favoured the Wild 12-3 after 20 minutes. 

The second period saw plenty of fireworks early. The Bulldogs would begin the frame on the power play, but failed to threaten. It was instead the Wild who had a shorthanded breakaway, but Carson Schamerhorn came up with a big save off August Von Ungern to keep it 0-0. Just a few minutes later, it appeared that the Wild had seven men at the very least on the ice. The whistle would sound, but it was the Dogs who ended up penalized, and not Wenatchee. They would make quick work of the power play, on a simple shot and a rebound from the top of the point through traffic. Schamerhorn would make the first save on Bryon Yoon, but Kyle Stephan would tap the rebound into the open side to make it 1-0. Yoon actually didn't get an assist on the play, with the only one credited to Mike Coyne at 5:15 of the second. The Bulldogs would answer back to tie the game at 1-1 less than two minutes later, as Garrett Halls made a good defensive play in the Dogs end, throwing a hit and kicking the puck up the right wing for Nathan Dingmann, who used great speed to drive wide up the wing before cutting in on goal where he lifted it up and over Chase Perry short-side. Tyler Cooper would be credited with the only assist at 6:45 of the second. Just over a minute later the Dogs would end up in big penalty trouble, with the Wild going to a 5 on 3 power play for 1:30 in duration. The Bulldogs would bend but not break, killing both penalties off. Carson Schamerhorn made without question the save of the season to preserve the tie as he went post to post and dove through mid-air to make a glove save on Kyle Stephan to rob him of what looked like a sure goal on a wide open net. The Bulldogs were again sent to the box later in the period, and the Wild would again connect on it as a wrist shot from the top of the point by Bryon Yoon appeared to hit a Bulldog defender and bounce up and over Schamerhorn to make it 2-1 at 15:19 of the second with Mike Coyne and Logan Milliken assisting. Shots favoured the Bulldogs in the period 14-12, for a two period total in favour of the Wild 24-17.

The third period would see the Wild again get an early power play chance, but the Bulldogs did a good job to kill it off to keep it a one-goal game. The Bulldogs would push through the middle stages of the period and had a handful of prime scoring opportunities, most notably on two Chris Schutz chances in the slot that Chase Perry came up big on. The Dogs would earn a power play chance of their own late in regulation, and would connect on it as Paul Meyer found Scott Clark on the right wing where he snapped a shot on goal that was tipped home five-hole by Nathan Dingmann to make it 2-2 with 3:46 to play in the third. The Dogs kept pressing, and seconds after a fantastic Chase Perry glove save on Jordan Sandhu on the doorstep, it was 3-2 Dogs when Sandhu won the draw to Nathan Dingmann, who fed Tyler Cooper at the right point. He would fire a quick shot on goal that hit something and went through the legs of Perry with 1:44 to play in the third. They couldn't hold the lead though, as the Wild pushed right back and tied the game with 1:04 to play when August Von Ungern slid a loose puck home from the slot through a maze of bodies. Aaron Murray and Blake Christensen drew the assists at 18:56 of the third. The shots would be even at 31 aside through regulation time, with the Dogs out shooting the Wild 14-7 in the third. 

There would be no scoring through overtime, with the Dogs having the better of the chances in the first frame, and the Wild having the better of the chances late in the second OT with Carson Schamerhorn standing tall to preserve the tie. 

Final shots favoured the Wild 36-34. The Dogs went 1 for 4 on the power play while the Wild went 2 for 6. 

The Dogs are on their way back to Canada as we speak, they face the Rivermen tomorrow at 6pm in Langley. 


Shots favoured the  

No comments: