Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Trent Dorais Captain for 2010 2011

I just spoke with Head Coach and GM Paul Esdale, and he informed me that Trent Dorais will wear the Captain's "C" this year.


His assistants will be Sam Mitchell and Frank Riddle.


Obviously this will come as a shock to some with last years Captain Sam Mitchell returning to the team this year.


Its a little of both for me, part of me is surprised and part of me isn't. I initially thought Sam was a no brainer. However, once I considered that Sam Mitchell was picked as Captain before Paul arrived last year by Nolan Graham and Bryan Vines, it is less surprising.


This could be as simple as Paul Esdale and Kevin Hasselberg wanting "their guy"


From what Paul told me, it was less about what Sam did or didn't do, and it was more about what Trent Dorais did throughout the summer, training camp, Exhibition and the subsequent practices leading up to the season opener.


Sam Mitchell won the job this time last year. It looks like Trent Dorais won it this year.


This was no doubt hard news to take for Sam. Having said that, from what I know about Sam's character, he will take it professionally and with maturity. Its my hope that he will take the "snub" and use it for motivation to make him a better player to land himself an NCAA scholarship.


Sam should be proud with how he wore the "C" last year. He has an "A" on his sweater this year, and that shows me what the Coaching Staff think of him and what they expect out of him. Leadership.


Frank Riddle is a player that in my mind improved more than anyone throughout the course of last season. As a 20 year old chasing a scholarship, he's a guy that I expect big things out of for this season. He showed last season he has the abilities to carry the puck, shoot the puck,move the puck, take the body and play solid "D"

I got a chance to get to know Trent Dorais a bit better after last season ended as he chose to live in Port Alberni (just down the road from me) over the summer to work and train for the upcoming season.


Although training was his #1 focus, when time allowed we managed to get out for a couple rounds of Golf at the Alberni Golf Club.Let's just say he's a way better hockey player than he is a golfer, although his athletic ability was evident as he improved in leaps and bounds each time we went out with the schooling he received from Alberni Golf Club Head Pro Bruce MacDonald.


He's a great guy off the ice, a heart and soul guy on it, and a leader in the dressing room.


I'm excited that he'll be the Captain of the Alberni Valley Bulldogs for 2010-2011.


Hammer


Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Congrats to Trent, Sam & Frank - really happy that they lettered the assistants this year, makes it more of a team effort. Way to be guys.

fresh prince of sproat lake said...

Frank Riddle is a player that in my mind improved more than anyone throughout the course of last season. As a 20 year old chasing a scholarship, he's a guy that I expect big things out of for this season. He showed last season he has the abilities to carry the puck, shoot the puck,move the puck, take the body and play solid "D"





I agree Hammer. The kid from St. Catharines, Ontario has become a bonafide top line defenceman. He just kept getting better as the 09/10 season unfolded. I hope he takes it up another level and finishes off strong in his junior career. It's good to see him acknowledged with an 'A' on his sweater.

It's funny how things can go. I met Frank's Dad at the beginning of last season, it was either at camp or pre-season I can't recall. Anyways, we had a brief chat in the lounge and he mentioned how it was the first time he had ever been to BC. He seemed like a good guy and we talked about his son and how uncertain he felt about Frank's chances of making the team. I told him the odds must be good, since he was recruited all the way from Ontario.

It turned out to be a great move coming to play for the AVB!

fresh prince of sproat lake said...

DOH!

Oh yeah, and congrats to Trent and Sam too!

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think Frank is going to be very sucessful this season! He did very well in his first year and I know his second year will even be better. Congrats to Trent and Sammy also. I can't wait for the home opener it's going to be a good one and also good luck to all the boys on Friday. Hard to believe it's already here!
GO DOGS GO