Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The "blogosphere".....blogs I read.

I'm a blogger and a hockey guy and as such I read a lot of other blogs. I haven't really posted before about this, so it is long overdue. I read an assortment of blogs. Some of them are about the BCHL. Sadly, as far as I'm aware, I am the only guy covering a Coastal Conference team that has a blog. If anyone is aware of another one, please let me know! Interior Conference fans are spoiled as they have some good blogs over there. I also read a good assortment of WHL blogs. The WHL isn't only a level of hockey and broadcasting I'd like to get to, but also a proven ground for the next up and comers in the hockey world. So it's a no brainer that I would read them. I read some NHL blogs as well, and the blogs of several other sports media types. I'm not much of a tech-head believe it or not, but I follow a little bit here and there with the "new" stuff. I know I wouldn't be where I am now and I won't move on to where I want to be in the future if I don't continue to try and be up to the latest technologies in covering the game and connecting with fans and potential future employers.

Blogs I read, and why:

Rod Pedersen's blog- I've brought it up before and I've said it before- Rod has my dream job or any sports guys dream job. He is the play-by-play voice of the WHL's Regina Pats and the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders. For those not too interested in those two teams, don't worry, there is plenty of NHL talk and sports talk, and just plain everything else. Last but not least- Rod's blog was awarded the 2007 Canadian Blog Awards BEST SPORTS BLOG. Nuff' said. Rod does an incredible job of covering the local scene and connecting those following from a distance- An example- A native Manitoban like myself, almost couldn't help but to cheer for the Roughriders against the Bombers in last year's Grey Cup. Manitoba used to be home, but that was a time ago. I knew a lot more about the Riders story and struggles throughout their year going into the Grey Cup than I did the Bombers.

"Taking Note" with Gregg Drinnan- Gregg is the Sports Editor at the Kamloops Daily News. This blog probably has more news than you can handle! I first found of it's existence after the infamous "players sitting on the bench at intermission" incident here this season. Gregg reported on it, (word sure spreads far and fast, doesn't it?) and even linked it to an old hockey coach I watched growing up in Flin Flon- Normie Johnson. I emailed Gregg about the overblown "bench incident" and the local reaction here, and I told him about how I watched Norm Johnson coach the Flin Flin Bombers to their last Championship in 1993. Gregg emailed back and said "Hammond....You wouldn't be related to CAL, would you?" Incredibly small world!! Anyway- Gregg has great news reporting on his blog, and is right now doing a running history of every year of the Memorial Cup. Very cool stuff.

Ted'sTake with Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis - EVERY pro team should have an owner like Ted. The Dallas Mavericks fans are the only ones as fortunate as the Caps and Wizard fans.

BCHL Blogs-

Shawn Mullin does a great job on his Trail Smoke Eaters blog as does Ryan Pinder on his Penticton Vees blog

WHL Blogs-

Regan's Rant- Regan Bartel, play-by-play voice Kelowna Rockets. Regan does a great job there covering the local scene. His work with numbers and stats amaze me and give me ideas about the numbers I need to compile.

Keen's Korner- Jon Keen , play-by-play voice of the WHL's Swift Current Broncos. Another great job covering the local scene enabling those from a distance to know what's happening locally.


High Tech-

Engadget- Great for the tech news. Not really a blog though? Oh well.

All in all, there's some great stuff on the NET besides things you SHOULDN'T look at while at work! Happy surfing!

I would love to hear about any other blogs you check out, on any topic, please share them!

Hammer

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hammy this is one i check from time to time its done by a friend i know from gsh aka jhb it has lots of no nonsense pull no punches talk about hockey and a slight infatuation with kari lehtonen http://firewagonhockey.blogspot.com/

As far as whl blogs
Of course there is what's bruin
http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/whatsbruin/default.aspx
i read greg drinnan's and regan bartel's as well i also read alan caldwell's blog smallthoughts at large http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/
i don’t even bother to read steve ewens blog because i think he is the ugliest giants cheerleader out there

Shawn said...

Thanks Hammer! You've got way more content than I ever will my friend.