Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Friday, January 25, 2008

Dogs visit Grizzlies, League posts All-Star Game Video, Remembering Don Wittman.

First things first. The Dogs return to action tonight in Victoria against the Grizzlies. Click the image below to enlarge the cheat sheet.
This sounds cool- The BCHL has made the video of the All-Star game available in the fanzone. Click HERE for more info. Get yourself signed up for the fanzone too!
_________________________________________________________________
I haven't said much about the passing the legendary Don Wittman as the news broke when we were on the road last weekend.

What can really be said about Don? All I have heard is that he was 100% class and my limited experience with him can attest to that fact. Dan "the stats man" sent me an article from a Winnipeg paper that broke the story of Don battling cancer. At the bottom of the story Don's email address was provided for those that wanted to send along well wishes. I just couldn't resist sending Don a note. Not just a "get well and keep fighting" note, but a note to let him know how much of an inspiration he was to me (and I'm sure countless others) to get into the play-by-play/broadcasting business. Some of Don's calls were the background noise to my growing up. Actually, everything else was probably the background, CBC Sports was the focus, HAHA. Being a Manitoban and following the Winnipeg Jets I heard alot of Don.

So, I emailed Don and told him all of this and thanked him for the inspiration to get into the business, and for the inspiration to some day get to the same level of broadcasting that he was at for so many years. As I said off the top, he was 100% class, as I found out in the end when I received a short but sweet reply from Mr. Wittman himself:

Evan,
Thank you for your thoughts and well wishes, they were greatly appreciated. I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time
Regards,
Don
____________________________________________________
I'm sure you were in the right place at the right time Mr. Wittman, but I think that you are certainly in the right place now. Rest in peace.

Some of Don's best calls. This one is my favorite. The ROAR from the Winnipeg Arena crowd in this clip is something I have only heard in two other places- The Dog Pound in Port Alberni, and the GLMC in OCN. It's indescribable.


Nuck fans will never forget this one.


A nice tribute.

No comments: