Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Matt Irwin 3, Alberni Valley Bulldogs 2




(oh yeah, the rest of the Clippers also combined for three more)

It was all tricks and no treats for the Dogs last night.

Matt Irwin put on a show as the Clippers made the Dogs look nothing like the team that beat them the last time out. What a player this guy is.

It appeared that the Bulldogs missed Isaac Smeltzer and Sawyer Eichel a lot more than the Clippers missed Russell Goodman, Braden Birch, and Carson Schell.

Has anyone seen the fan in Nanaimo with the BCHL "Bad Calls Hockey League" T-shirt?

After the Devin Braden penalty late in the second period last night I'm contemplating getting a "Body Contact-less Hockey League" one made up.

In defense of the official, maybe he was shocked that it was almost he first hit of the game, about 39 minutes into it. Really too bad that it has to be a call like that that really ends the chances for the Dogs.

Let's be honest here- At that point, the Dogs had no business being in the game the way they had played, and the way the Clippers had out played them. That doesn't matter though. They WERE in the game, they had just scored to make it 4-2 and the appeared to possibly finally be getting going. One body check later, a penalty, it's 5-2 and it's game over. Of course it's not as big a deal if it doesn't end up in the back of the net. Credit to the Clippers for that.

Costume of the night went to the fan dressed up as a referee complete with a white cane, sunglasses, and a poster on his back that said "property of the Nanaimo Clippers" Hopefully the good-natured Clipper fans can find some humour in that.

With all this being said: We can't have the games without the refs. It's not a job I liked when I did it. I certainly couldn't do it at this level. That doesn't mean I can't give my opinion just like everyone else when I see bad calls.

Being the play-by-play voice of the #1 most penalized team in the league I should be used to it. When it comes to the warranted calls (in my opinion) I haven't said a word. In fact, I have said very little PERIOD all year long.

What I really don't like and what really frustrates me is when the officials put me in a position where my choices are to either

A) lie about what I see or
B) just totally ignore what 2000 people or the other team are reacting to.

I'm not going to do that, I'm not doing my job if I do that.

It sounds bad, but don't blame the messanger. I try to say it the best I can.

Hammer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With the hit from my view it looked like he threw a elbow wich took him off balance and slammed him into the board.