Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Dogs drop 6-2 decision to Grizzlies

Tonight's Game Report is brought to you courtesy of the Best Western Plus Barclay Hotel 

The BEST WESTERN PLUS Barclay Hotel, the largest full facility hotel in Port Alberni, BC. When staying with us there is no need to give up conveniences you are used to. You can discover treasures to take home at the Alberni Harbour Quay, and then browse our onsite Cold Beer, Wine Store and liquor store or retreat to our Stamps Cafe or Pastimes Sports Bar and Grill to enjoy a snack or to watch the game on our big screen TV. Then, relax in our sauna or pool before settling in our luxurious accommodations to enjoy the vintage wine picked up earlier. That's when you will truly understand why the tranquil setting of our hotel has been called the perfect place to call home. If traveling on business, our Port Alberni Hotel boasts over 4500 square feet of meeting space in four rooms that are perfect for small conventions, banquets, parties, meetings and weddings. AV equipment and catering are also available.

A high pace from the outset in this one, with not much in the way of whistles and the Dogs having an early advantage in pucks on net but neither side conceding any glaring scoring chances. The Grizzlies would take a 1-0 lead just short of the midway point of the period against the flow of play as a Bulldog defender gloved the puck down at the attacking line but got double teamed by Jamie Rome and Lucas Clark to create a 2 on 1 rush. The back-check would arrive half a second too late, as Lucas Clark one-touch backhanded the Rome centering pass from the right side in off a Bulldog defender and the far-post past the glove of Schamerhorn at 9:15 of the first. The Dogs would push back and have a fantastic chance on a three-way passing play on the rush a minute later, but Tony Rehm kept an in tight chance out from the seat of his pants. Pace remained high until the late moments of the period, with the Dogs pressing hard to tie the game. After a series of misses in the slot by both Spencer Hunter and Kyle Kaufmann, Stratton Pickett dug it loose back of the net. Spencer Hunter would find it, and put a perfect pass onto the tape of Kyle Kaufmann in the hashmarks. He would make no mistake on the opportunity, picking the top corner, far-side over the glove of Rehm to make it 1-1 at 17:59 of the first. Shots in the period favoured the Bulldogs 11-9.

The second period resembled the first with a breakneck pace through the early stages of it. An injured defenseman and a tired forward group resulted in a bad change and a stretch pass resulted in a breakaway for Cameron Thompson that he rang off the crossbar as it stayed tied. The game was played evenly through the midway point of regulation, with each team having their chances around the net and the shots tied at 16 aside. It stayed 1-1 until the late stages of the period, with the Grizzlies taking their second lead of the game when Nathan Looysen stole the puck off a Bulldog defender just three feet in front of the Bulldogs net where he scored on a slick backhand deke past Schamerhorn inside the near post to make it 2-1, unassisted at 17:44 of the second. The Bulldogs were penalized immediately afterwards, on somewhat of a frustrating call as they couldn't buy a power play opportunity throughout the period, an in fact didn't earn a man advantage through the first 40 minutes. Shots in the period favoured the Grizzlies 15-10 for a two period total of 24-21.

 The third period started with the Dogs having two great chances around the Grizzlies net that failed to find it. The Grizzlies would then take a two-goal lead as the Dogs walked into trouble in their own end when they had control of the puck and coughed it up. It ended up in their net soon afterwards as Cody Van Lierop pulled it around a Bulldog forward at the left point and threw a low shot on net that was stopped by Schamerhorn. The rebound would be found by Shawn O'Malley, who lifted it home glove side to make it 3-1 at 3:32 of the third with Tyler Welsh also drawing an assist. The Dogs would answer almost immediately, as they earned their first power play of the game when Jordan Sandhu had his stick slashed out of his hands. It took seconds for them to capitalize on it, as Alex MacDonald sent a cross-ice pass to the left side for Jordan Sandhu. He put a perfect pass at the top of the point on a tee for Trevor Cosgrove, who blew a one-time low, glove side and off the post and in on Tony Rehm. I never saw the puck cross the line, but the Referee at the side of the net immediately signaled goal. A conference between all the Officials would ensue, as it would appear those further from the net would be asked their opinion on it. The initial call would stand, as it was a 3-2 game at 3:54 of the third. The Dogs went to another power play less than a minute later, and had a couple glorious chances but couldn't cash in to tie the game. Minutes later, the Dogs would be penalized when Tyler Welsh appeared to take a dive on Keith Anderson at centre ice. The Dogs would have a great chance to tie the game on a shorthanded breakaway for Jake Witkowski, but Tony Rehm came up with a big stop to preserve the lead. A soft even up call soon afterwards would go against the Grizzlies, and the Dogs again had a couple great looks but failed to get the puck on net before conceding a shorthanded goal as Lucas Clark made it look way too easy fighting past the last Bulldog back to skate in on a shorthanded breakaway that he just chipped off Schamerhorn's glove and in, short-side to make it 4-2 at 12:03 of the third. No assist was given on the play, but there was certainly one that was missed. A dust-up with just over five minutes left in the third saw Nicholas Rasovic drop the mitts with Tyler Welsh - who appeared to drop a glove or two as well - with Rasovic getting the only fighting major somehow. That would take away any chance at a Bulldog comeback, with the Grizzlies padding their lead twice on the major to complete the scoring. First it was a double cross-crease pass that initially failed to connect before Dayne Finnson found it with Schamerhorn taking contact and being down and out to make 5-2 at 16:31, with Brett Sterling drawing the only assist. Just over half a minute later it was a 6-2 game as Keyvan Mokhtari took a Nico Somerville pass and flew up the right wing where he beat Schamerhorn top corner, short-side high with a beautiful shot to complete the scoring at 17:05 of the third.

Shots in the third were even at 12-12, for a game total of 36-33 Grizzlies with Tony Rehm picking up the win while Carson Schamerhorn took the loss. The Dogs went 1 for 3 on the power play while the Grizzlies went 2 for 4, scoring twice on the late major.

The Dogs are next in action Wednesday when they visit the Capitals in Duncan.


No comments: