Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Dogs comeback late, fall 5-4 to Kings in double OT

Tonight's Game Report is brought to you courtesy of the Best Western Plus Barclay Hotel 

The BEST WESTERN PLUS Barclay Hotel, the largest full facility hotel in Port Alberni, BC. When staying with us there is no need to give up conveniences you are used to. You can discover treasures to take home at the Alberni Harbour Quay, and then browse our onsite Cold Beer, Wine Store and liquor store or retreat to our Stamps Cafe or Pastimes Sports Bar and Grill to enjoy a snack or to watch the game on our big screen TV. Then, relax in our sauna or pool before settling in our luxurious accommodations to enjoy the vintage wine picked up earlier. That's when you will truly understand why the tranquil setting of our hotel has been called the perfect place to call home. If traveling on business, our Port Alberni Hotel boasts over 4500 square feet of meeting space in four rooms that are perfect for small conventions, banquets, parties, meetings and weddings. AV equipment and catering are also available.

As far as starts go, it couldn't be much worse than this one as just 10 seconds into the game the Kings led 1-0. After the initial game opening puck drop was inexplicably restarted. The Kings would find the puck and then force a turnover in the Dogs zone to create an odd-man rush that saw Jonny Evans put a perfect cross-ice pass to Cam Donaldson at the back post where he one-timed it home. Tristan Mullin also drew an assist on the play at :10 of the first. The Kings continued to play with some extra jump, and built up a 2-0 lead at 4:59 of the first when Liam Lawson won a draw in the Dogs end onto the tape of Hunter Findlater who ripped a quick release top corner, far-side over the glove shoulder of Schamerhorn. The Bulldogs fought to get going, with Mackenzie Wight leading the charge by sparking his bench and the building with a couple solid hits. It would be very fitting minutes later as Wight opened the scoring after a shot block by Tristan Bukovec created a 2 on 1 rush and a delayed penalty as he was tripped. Wight would walk down the right wing and in tight where he went top corner, short-side high on Mitch Adamyk for his first career goal at 8:13 of the first. It was a 2-2 game just four minutes later when Tristan Bukovec located a loose puck near the goal line on a faceoff in the Kings end. He would simply throw it on net, where it took a carom off Adamyk and rolled on edge over the goal line. It looked in clear as day from our perspective in the booth, but the Official directly in front of it in perfect position would emphatically wave it off. After a discussion between all four Officials, the call was reversed, and the goal was counted. It appeared that the right call was made in the end, but one can certainly appreciate that the Kings might have had a problem with it as the call would have to have been made by an Official no where near the net. Tristan Bukovec would get credit for it, with assists to Kyle Kaufmann and Braydon Nelson at 12:10. Mere seconds later the Dogs were penalized on a faceoff in their end. The Kings would take the lead back on the advantage on a pretty end to end rush by Carter Turnbull as he picked it up from a teammate behind his net and blazed up the right wing and over the Dogs line before driving the net un touched where he lifted it home over Schamerhorn to make it 3-1, un-assisted at 14:05 of the first. Ben Raffler was one of two Kings who deserved an assist on it. Shots in the first favoured Powell River 10-7.

The Bulldogs tied it up just over two minutes into the second, with Braydon Nelson chipping the puck in down the left side and Kyle Kaufmann sticking with the play to bring the puck behind the Kings net on the rush where he swung a pass to the slot for Mackenzie Wight, where he snapped it home five-hole on Adamyk to make it 3-3 at 2:24 of the second. Much like when they tied it in the first, the Dogs were almost immediately penalized, however they killed it off this time to keep it tied. There would be no scoring the remainder of the period, but not for a lack of opportunities around the net for either side. Shots in the period favoured the Bulldogs 13-7, for a total of 20-17 Bulldogs after 40 minutes.

The third period was played fairly even with each team having their opportunities. The Kings would go up 4-3 just over eight minutes in on a call the Bulldogs fans certainly thought was blown, as Auggie Moore and Tristan Mullin battled for a puck near the Kings line and engaged each other, with Moore going down after taking what looked like a Gordie Howe reverse elbow to the head. Mullin would carry the puck over the line up the right side and drop it for Jonny Evans, who walked into the top of the circle and ripped a nice shot short-side high over the glove of Schamerhorn to make it 4-3 at 8:05 of the third. Thankfully, that wouldn't be the game winner, but it certainly looked like it until the dying seconds of the game as the Dogs got the equalizer with the goalie out for the extra attacker and a faceoff in the Kings zone with 22 seconds left. The draw went to the left wing wall, where Connor Welsh dug it loose for Jordan Sandhu. He would throw it across the crease for Tristan Bukovec, who was initially robbed by Mitch Adamyk. He would stick with it though, and find his own rebound and roof it under the bar to make it 4-4 at 19:47 of the third. Third period shots favoured the Dogs 15-14 for a 60 minute advantage of 35-31.

The first overtime was played somewhat passively, with perhaps both teams feeling the amount of hockey they had played over the weekend. The Dogs had the two best chances, the first of which seeing Tristan Bukovec rip a shot off the crossbar from the deep slot. Later in overtime they created a 2 on 1 rush, but Jake Kohlhauser made a great desperation defensive play to knock the puck off the stick of Kyle Kaufmann as he tried to pull the trigger. Double OT would end almost as quickly as the Kings scored to open the game, as they won the initial draw and the Dogs never touched the puck as Johan Steen played the won draw up the left side for Carter Turnbull, who gained the Dogs line and dished it rink wide for Johan Steen who put a slapper on net long side that just snuck in under the blocker arm of Schamerhorn for the 5-4 final.

Overtime shots favoured the Kings 3-1 for a game total favouring the Dogs 36-34 with Mitch Adamyk picking up the win while Carson Schamerhorn took the loss. The Dogs went 0 for 2 on the power play while the Kings went 1 for 2.

The Dogs are next in action Wednesday night when they visit the Capitals in Duncan.


No comments: