Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Dogs comeback to top Snakes 3-2 in double OT

Tonight's Game Report is brought to you courtesy of the Best Western Plus Barclay Hotel 

The BEST WESTERN PLUS Barclay Hotel, the largest full facility hotel in Port Alberni, BC. When staying with us there is no need to give up conveniences you are used to. You can discover treasures to take home at the Alberni Harbour Quay, and then browse our onsite Cold Beer, Wine Store and liquor store or retreat to our Stamps Cafe or Pastimes Sports Bar and Grill to enjoy a snack or to watch the game on our big screen TV. Then, relax in our sauna or pool before settling in our luxurious accommodations to enjoy the vintage wine picked up earlier. That's when you will truly understand why the tranquil setting of our hotel has been called the perfect place to call home. If traveling on business, our Port Alberni Hotel boasts over 4500 square feet of meeting space in four rooms that are perfect for small conventions, banquets, parties, meetings and weddings. AV equipment and catering are also available.

The Bulldogs had a good push in the opening 45 seconds, but the Vipers pushed right back and caught a tired line on the ice and almost opened the scoring as a shot from the point that Brody Claeys didn't see through the screen, but he was in good position as it hit his right toe and stayed out. The Dogs would get on the board just a minute later, when Connor Welsh went D-to-D across the Vipers line to Trevor Cosgrove. He would put a perfect wrist shot low and off the net where it was deflected back against the grain and just inside the post past Cole Demers by Ryan Steele to make it 1-0 at 1:56 of the first. The Dogs weren't able to build on the lead, as the Vipers pushed back and generated a handful of good chances before eventually tying the game just short of the midway mark of the period on an odd-man rush resulting from a Bulldog turnover at centre. A good head-man pass sent Tyler Maser over the line up the right side, where he stuck with the play and made a good cross-ice pass after having his initial pass blocked, onto the tape of Derek Osik who one-timed it through the legs of Claeys at 9:50 of the first. Shots favoured the Vipers 15-8 after one.

The Vipers would take their first lead of the game just over three minutes into the second, on an odd goal as Shane Kelly threw a wrister at the net from the right wing in the Dogs zone, and it took a funny bounce to sneak up and over the pad of Claeys and inside the post, short-side. to make it 2-1 at 3:21 of the second. The Vipers would push over the next couple of minutes and contain the Dogs in their zone and did a good job of getting pucks to the net from the line but they couldn't beat Claeys to build their lead. Late in the period the Bulldogs went to a four minute power play, but failed to generate much in the way of chances or pressure. The Vipers would get two fantastic chances in the dying moments of the penalty and the period, as Austin Adamson did a great job to get the puck out at his line, and then drive up the wing and through the defence to the Dogs net where Claeys made a great right toe save, and then a follow up glove save of a bounce of Riley Brandt to keep it a 2-1 game after 40 minutes. Shots in the period favoured Vernon 10-6 for a two period advantage of 25-14.

The third period didn't see much in the way of chances through the early minutes, but the Dogs pushed to battle and tie the game as Cayden Kraus dug the puck off the wall and put a cross-ice pass to the right point for Trevor Cosgrove. He would blow a slapper on net that was stopped by Demers, but the rebound rattled around until Jordan Sandhu found it and put it home to make it 2-2 at 10:16 of the third. There would be no scoring through the rest of the period, with the shots favouring the Bulldogs in the period 11-6 and the Vipers 31-25 after 60 minutes.

The Vipers had the best chance in the first overtime, with Brody Claeys making a huge shoulder save on Ryan Brushett on a cross-ice pass on a 2 on 1 rush as the game went to double overtime. The double OT would end quickly, with Auggie Moore doing a great job to steal the puck with good back pressure off a Viper defender and attack the zone down the right wing before dropping it for Connor Welsh who walked into the deep slot and put a perfect wrist shot top corner, short-side over the glove of Demers to set off a wild celebration for the 3-2 final.

The Dogs were out shot 4-3 in overtime, for a game total in Vernon's favour of 35-28, with Brody Claeys picking up 1st star honours with the win while Cole Demers took the loss. The Dogs went 0 for 2 on the power play while the Vipers went 0 for 4.

The Dogs are next in action tomorrow afternoon when they host the Coquitlam Express.


No comments: