Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Chiefs top Dogs 4-2

The game began with a thud for the Bulldogs as just 22 seconds into the contest Tyler Cooper was sent to the box on what looked like a pretty good check. Credit to the Chiefs for capitalizing on it to add insult to injury, as just seconds later it was 1-0 when Jesse Lansdell attempted a cross-crease pass that caromed off a Bulldog defender and in, up and over Chris Tai. Darien Craighead picked up the only assist, but Dennis Cholowski should have received one as well on the scoring play at 59 seconds of the first. The Cheifs would control the play through the first 10 minutes following the goal including earning another power play chance, with the Bulldogs unable to get any shots on net. Later in the period, the calls would go the other way as the Cheifs were penalized twice in quick succession, the second penalty certainly didn't appear to be much to put a team down two men,  as the Bulldogs went to a 5 on 3 advantage for 1:18 in duration. The Dogs had several great looks and chances, the best of which might have been when Chris Schutz was set up in the slot where he ripped a one-timer off the crossbar and out. The Chiefs would hold the fort as the period ended with the Dogs having 18 seconds of power play time to start the second. Shots favoured the Bulldogs 10-6 after the first, at one point they were 6-0 Chiefs.

The second period saw the Chiefs continue to control the better of the play and the Dogs struggling to find good scoring opportunities. When they did generate chances, on three separate occasions they failed to pull the trigger in the slot as the bounces clearly weren't going there way. It was 2-0 Chiefs just over seven minutes into the period on a beautiful effort by Vimal Sukumaran who chipped the puck out of the zone to himself to create a 3 on 1 rush down the left wing. He would look to pass, and instead rip a shot long-side low off the post and in past the blocker of Tai. The goal was unassisted at 7:08 of the second. An interesting call I have yet to see before saw Liam Conrad go head first from behind in the corner on what looked like a dangerous hit. While the Chief defender was indeed called for boarding, Conrad was also whistled for diving. The Chiefs would have ample opportunities to build the lead, but Tai came up with a handful of big saves to keep it 2-0. That would prove huge in the late minutes of the period as the Dogs got on the board to cut the deficit as Scott Clark set up Garrett Halls at the left point where he made one move to make a defender miss before walking into the left faceoff circle where he put a quick wrister long-side through traffic past the glove of Aidan Pelino. Quinn Syrydiuk also drew an assist on the play at 18:04 of the period as the Cheifs took a 2-1 lead to the room after 40 minutes. Shots were even at 10 aside in the period for a 20-16 Bulldog advantage.

The Bulldogs would push hard early in the third, and were rewarded for the equalizer just over a minute in as Quinn Syrydiuk hustled hard to chase down a dump in and tie up a Chief defender. Scott Clark would support the battle, and put a perfect feed to Chris Schutz where he one-timed it home through the legs of Pelino to make it 2-2 at 1:30 of the third. The next several minutes were played at a high pace with each side pushing for the go ahead marker. After a dust-up in the Bulldogs zone after the whistle with five-on-five hockey being the result, the Chiefs would go up 3-2 just seconds after play resumed when Connor McCarthy took a rink-wide pass - I thought it was from Jeremy Germain - and walked into the top of the right circle where he put a shot through Chris Tai to make it 3-2 at the 7:00 mark of the third. Assists on the play went to Kohen Olischefski and Ryan Roseboom. The Chiefs would have two good chances to build the lead shortly afterwards on bad giveaways leading to breakaways for Vimal Sukumaran and Jordan Kawaguchi, but Chris Tai came up with big stops to keep it a one-goal game. The Dogs would push with their goalie out late for the equalizer, but the Chiefs made the lead stand to protect the lead until Jesse Lansdell hit the empty net from centre ice to make it a 4-2 game with 5 seconds to play. Assists on the play went to Jeremy Germain and Dennis Cholowski at 19:55 of the third.

Final shots favoured the Bulldogs 33-28, with Chris Tai taking the loss while Aidan Pelino picked up the win. The Dogs went 0 for 3 on the power play while the Chiefs went 1 for 3.

Next up, three games on the road next weekend as the Dogs visit Wenatchee Friday, Langley Saturday, and Chilliwack on Sunday.


No comments: