Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Dogs top Rivermen 4-3 for first win, now unbeaten in two

The long wait was worth it once the game got underway at 9:30pm as the pace was good and the puck movement was crisp from the get-go. The Rivermen to their credit didn't look like a team that had the "Amazing Race Road trip" to get to Port Alberni just an hour before game time as they took the lead at 10:38 of the first, albeit on yet another controversial goal against the Dogs where the Referee who was positioned right next to the net didn't signal goal, or no goal. Tyger Howat made the first save, and partially stopped the second, before throwing his paddle behind him to attempt to stop it as the net was dislodged. After a conference with the Officials, the goal stood, with credit going to James Robinson with assists to Austin Azurdia and Will Cook at 10:38 of the first. Thankfully the Dogs would fire right back to even the game on the next shift as Darian Henry went D-to-D to the left point for Kurt Gosselin who threw a low shot on net that was deflected home past Steve Myland. I thought it was Harlan Orr, but Mitch Makin got credit for it at 11:08 as it was tied 1-1 after one with the Dogs up 12-9 in shots.  

The Dogs would take their first lead of the game before the ice was dry to start the second period as Luca Doctor scored his first career goal on a shot from the top of the point that snuck through the legs of Myland after possibly changing direction. Assists on the play went to Dylan Haugen and Jared Wilson :21 seconds into the second. Two and a half minutes later the Dogs built the lead to 3-1, on another deflected point shot as Ryan Buse one-timed a loose puck at the line that hit a defender and went in. No assists were given on the play at 2:56 of the second. The Rivermen would get one back while the Dogs were on the power play as Kurt Gosselin took a blind-side check from Austin Azurdia that sent him head first into the boards as the last-man-back at centre ice. James Robinson would pick up the shrapnel and skate in on the breakaway where he beat Tyger Howat five-hole to make it 3-2 at 8:16 of the second. The score stayed that way with the Dogs carrying the play and getting great chances and drawing several more penalties. They would stretch the lead to 4-2 with just 2 seconds remaining in a power play chance as Ryan Buse took a pass at the left point from Harlan Orr. Buse would wait for a shooting lane to open before firing a quick wrister on net that was stopped by Myland. Mitch Makin would bury the rebound for his second of the game, with assists going to Buse and Henry at 17:57 of the second. The Dogs had a 30-18 advantage in shots after 40 minutes and a 4-2 lead, their first lead of the season after two periods. 

The Dogs would come out flat, maybe tight, to begin the third period while the Rivermen carried the play and had the better of the chances, aided by three straight power plays. The Dogs would kill the first two off to protect the lead, but the Rivermen scored on their third chance to make a game of it late as Tyger Howat made the first two saves off a deflected point shot but Jakob Reichert battled the rebound home. Assists on the play went to Mark Whiteley and Matt Ustaski at 15:33 of the third to make it 4-3. The Dogs did well to push back on the next shift to take the Rivermen momentum away and salt some time off the clock. The Rivermen would have a great chance to tie the game in the dying seconds as the Dogs failed to get the puck out, and everyone was ahead of the play, but Howat made a great first save, and a rebound save before getting help from Tryg Strand on a second rebound and an open-net to seal the deal.

Final shots favoured the Dogs 38-33 with Tyger Howat picking up the win while Steven Myland took the loss. I had the Dogs at 1 for 4 on the power play, with the Rivermen also going 1 for 4 while also scoring once shorthanded.

No comments: