Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Charity Golf Classic, Another Lacrosse Championship, George Steinbrenner passes away, why I don't read the Message Board...

I haven't yet heard the final numbers on the monies raised at 17th Annual Alberni Valley Charity Golf Classic. Hopefully I will get an update from Gerry Fagan soon as they had a committee meeting last night.


What I CAN tell you - It was a beautiful day, a great time, and some much needed funds were raised for the B.C. Children's Hospital, Kidsport Port Alberni, Special Olympics Port Alberni, and the Alberni Valley Community Schools.

I played horrible for the most of the day, only making a couple of putts and hitting a couple long drives. A big thanks to my teammates for making the day a fun one - Bob Turner, Gary Connaughton, Olga Kanigan, and Walt Collins.

And a HUGE thanks to all the volunteers and committee members that make the Charity Classic such a great time, and such a benefit to so many great and needy charities.

 



I told you yesterday about the success of the Bantam Tyees, now here's another email and another Provincial Championship...way to go girls! Thanks Shawna for the heads up!



To whom it may concern, 

I am hoping you could announce that the Island Stone Jr Lacrosse Girls
won the Gold in Provincials this weekend, which was held in Port Moody. These girls have been in the Gold medal round 3 years in a row and finally brought the Gold home! Marrisa Jordan got MVP for the Provincials.
Thanks for your consideration.
Shawna Angell (Team Manager)


A shocker this morning as New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died of an apparent Heart Attack. 


      NEW YORK - New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died of a reported heart attack.

      A person close to Steinbrenner confirmed his death to The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not yet made the announcement.

      He turned 80 on July 4.

      The Tampa Tribune says emergency crews responded to Steinbrenner's home in Tampa on Monday night.

      WABC in New York says Steinbrenner was rushed to St. Joseph's hospital in Tampa.

      The Yankees have earned 11 pennants and seven World Series titles under Steinbrenner. He has owned the club since 1973.

      (The Canadian Press) 



Why I don't read the BCHL Message Board very often - Exhibit A - the current thread that someone has put up there regarding Tyler Berkholtz being "rumoured to be traded"

Rumoured to be traded by WHOM exactly? Is there a source to that rumour to substantiate it? Of course not. And that's my point. ANYONE can mess with a kid's head, ANONYMOUSLY. Just make up a log in and post WHATEVER you want. 

I don't expect Tyler Berkholtz to be traded. And I haven't heard any rumours saying that's the case either. I expect great things out of him in a Bulldog Uniform in 2010-2011. 

Sometimes some of the stuff on the board is true, there is "fire to the smoke" so to speak. Most of the time however, it's just BS, someone from one team trying to mess with another one, one player trying to mess with another....what I'm saying is - take everything you read there with a grain of salt. OR - don't read it at all. 

If I ran a team I would tell any player on my team to never read it, but all or most of the players/staff/fans/owners/media guys do. 


Hammer




 

2 comments:

Deb said...

Well said Hammer...
some people have nothing better to do than try & stir things up a bit but at least make it believable. I see this as a just what it is ---------- a rumour--------. I'm predicting that Tyler will turn it up another notch this coming season, always great to watch. imo

Anonymous said...

I agree Hammer!
The BCHL board is a cruel board who starts rumours and when fans, players and billets read it sometimes they ask themselves "is this true?" Because when I saw the post about Berkholtz I am like "this isn't true." because if it was true I know it would be on your blog or the website and I checked both places and saw no press release. It's one thing if you go on the board and paste things that are true but one thing to start rumours are totally WRONG! I agree with Deb! I believe Berkholtz is going to be awesome this upcoming season