Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Bulldogs host Clippers, Game 5 TONIGHT, Alberni Wrestling News+Brown Hockey, more local sports....


A HUGE game tonight in this Best of 7 Coastal Conference Semi Final Series, as the Dogs and Clippers meet at the Dog Pound.


With the series tied at 2-2 after the 5-1 Bulldog win in Nanaimo Saturday, the winner of tonight's game will have a chance to advance in tomorrow night's game 6 in Nanaimo.


All the festivities that Games 1 and 2 brought will be back tonight, with Jolie from THE PEAK hosting a Pre-Game Tail Gate party kicking off at 4:30 with Lazy Mike and The Rockin' Recliners performing live under the tent infront of the Multiplex.

The 3 on 3 "Sportsmanship First, All Ages" Ball Hockey Tourney is back as well, with the winners getting tickets to tonights game!!

Catch the pregame show with Rick and Myself kicking off at 6:45, the puck drop and play-by-play follows at 7.

Get your tickets, tell you friends to get their tickets, WEAR THE RED, and SELL OUT THE DOG POUND!

Oh yeah, don't forget to make some noise and to stand up for the guys at the start of every period!






For immediate release …..

Michael Cappus – CIS Wrestling Champion

Alberni Wrestling alumni Michael Cappus won the coveted Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) title at 66 kg last week in Calgary. Cappus’ win  also helped the Simon Fraser Men’s Wrestling team win the CIC Men’s title.

For Cappus the win at the CIS Nationals capped off an impressive rookie season at SFU. Cappus won several tournaments over the season and then won the CIS West title at 66 kg to qualify for the Nationals. At the CIS Nationals Cappus was unstoppable.  With only 8 qualifyers per weight class Cappus had to first fight through a pool of 4 wrestlers. In that pool he beat the # 1 ranked wrestler from New Brunswick to win the pool and advance to the final. In the final against an opponent from McMaster University Cappus dominated and won in two straight rounds.

The coaches at SFU were ecstatic with Cappus’ development this season. Coach Justin Abdou said, “ Michael has surprised us all this year, we knew when we recruited him out of Alberni that he was one of the top prospects in the country but to do so well in his first year of university wrestling is quite exceptional. The Alberni Valley Wrestling program should be extremely proud of their part in Michael’s development.”

Unfortunately the euphoria over Cappus’ win at the CIS Nationals was short lived. Three days after returning from Calgary Cappus dislocated an elbow in practice at SFU. The injury was a clean dislocation and Cappus should heal without complications but his season is finished. That means he will not be able to wrestle at the Junior Nationals later this month. Winners at the Junior Nationals will represent Canada at the Junior World’s in Turkey this summer.

“Yeh it is disappointing to not be able to wrestle at the Junior Nationals and have a shot at the World’s this year,” said Cappus, “ but there isn’t anything I can do about it. I am proud of my first year at SFU and I know I will have another shot at Junior’s next year.  I plan to be home this summer and to hopefully work for Alberni Wrestling in the summer camp programs again. Right now I need to focus on my school work for the next few weeks.  I have more time to do that now.“


Travis Cross announced his retirement from Wrestling in an email over the weekend. Thanks for everything you have done for the Valley Travis, you are a true champ!

To Friends, Family, Supporters.

I have made my decision to finish my career in wrestling. After 18 years being involved in the sport as an athlete I feel very confident and happy with my decision to stop competeing.
This has been a very difficult decision to make and it has taken some time. I was most recently preparing for National Championships at the end of March but it has felt like something has been missing and the drive to put in the full time commitment needed is just not there.
I have always said that once I stop improving is when I will stop wrestling and in knowing what is required to improve enough to be able to improve my performance to the level I want is just not something that is in me to do.
I am very happy with my decision and excited for the things I will be able to put more of my time and focus into. I am very blessed to have a beautiful family in Melissa, Nickolas and Nolan. I am very happy as a career firefighter. I am excited to put more time into other passions of my life.
Wrestling has been very good to me and I am a better person for having it in my life. Alot of great memories and lifelong friendships made. It has been an amazing ride, I put everything I had into every practice and every match and have no regrets because of this. I have seen first hand how sport has made such a positive impact in my live and the lives of others and I feel blessed to have had all the opportunities I have had.
My advice to others from my experience is to make the most of what you are doing today and enjoy the moment. You will get out what you put in. To step back and look at the last 18 years of my life I realize how fortunate I have been to have the opportunity to live my dreams.
I love the sport of wrestling and my hope is that I can use my knowledge and experience in it to pass on to others as they commit to achieve their goals and be the best they can be on and off the mats.
I want to say with all my heart Thank You for being in my corner, you are all great friends.
Sincerely,
Travis
Here's my favorite Travis moment...It's a poor quality cell phone video, but it still captures the emotion and pride of the community for Travis, as he arrived home to the Multiplex after qualifying for the Olympics...



Here's another great email from Devin Timberlake's dad Tony....Way to go Brown Bears! Bulldog Alumni Devin Timberlake and Harry Zolnierczyk of course play for the Bears....Read on....


Hi Hammer....
Just to bring you up to date.....Brown pulled off a huge upset tonight by defeating Yale 1-0 in game 3 of their best of 3 playoff series at Yale....all 3 games were at Yale.....Going into the series Yale (the ECAC regular season champions) were ranked 6th in the USA.....
The previous weekend Brown beat RPI 2 games to 1 to advance to the series against Yale....what was interesting about that is that RPI is Nolan Graham's Alma Mater and of course Paul Esdale was a defenseman at Brown....
Now here is where it gets real interesting....Brown has advanced now to the ECAC Final Four which will be played at the Times-Union Center in Albany, NY next weekend....They will play Cornell in one of the semi-final games starting at  1:00 pm your time next Friday and all games will be televised live on the NHL Network in Canada......
It only seems fitting that ex Bulldogs Joe Scali and Devin Timberlake (best of friends also) will play in this huge game which will see one of them end their NCAA College Hockey career while the other will advance to the ECAC Championship Final and a possible berth in the final 16 for the National Championship.....seems like Karma at its best to me....
I have been here in the East following Brown's games for over a month now and of course will be at the games next weekend...I am really hoping Joe's parents, Mara and Nick, will be there also to watch....that would be really exciting for all of us....
I have been listening to all the Bulldog playoff games on The Peak and wish them all the best against Nanaino....I am sure they will win this series and advance against Powell River in the 3rd. round...
Next update from Albany on the weekend...
Take care
Tony T....
P.S...Say hello to Rick and Bruce for me....


Thanks Tony....And here's yet another email on another Port Alberni Athlete - Congrats to Jayme Clark and the U of A Panda's Hockey Team, as they won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP yesterday!

Hey Evan
Not sure if you heard yet but the University of Alberta Pandas are
National Champions of the CIS.  They defeated McGill 2 0.  Before that
McGill was undefeated for the last 85 games against Canadian opponents.
Was an unreal game.
Jim
Thanks for the heads up Jim, and way to go Jayme and the Pandas!

One final update...I don't have any details on this one, but I have a team picture with a banner in front of the guys, so that's all I need to see! Congrats to the Bantam Bulldogs, winners of the Gold Division of the Poco International Bantam Tournament!

No comments: