Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Friday, February 27, 2009

THANKS THANKS THANKS to The TEAM 1040 and the BCHL..

I was more than surprised yesterday when I got an email and phone call from BCHL Director of Media Services Jeff Dubois saying I had just been named the winner of the Team 1040/BCHL Broadcaster of the Year award


Alberni Valley Bulldogs play-by-play voice Evan Hammond has been named the Team 1040/British Columbia Hockey League Broadcaster of the Year for the 2008/09 season, the league announced Thursday.

Since 2003, Hammond has broadcast Alberni Valley Bulldogs games for CJAV-The Peak in Port Alberni. In that time, 'Hammer' has built a reputation as one of the league's most talented and hard working media members. He is also known as a key figure in the local hockey community, assisting in a number of fundraising initiatives and team activities.

"We are very fortunate to have Hammer involved as a part of our organization," Bulldogs president Andy Oakes says. "He is one of the best in the league and his loyalty and professionalism are second to none."

Evidence of Hammond's dedication to the BCHL and hockey on Vancouver Island includes his blog, which has become an online hub for Bulldogs and minor hockey fans.

"Hammer sets the bar high when it comes to his preparation and performance broadcasting British Columbia Hockey League games," BCHL media services director Jeff Dubois says. "That Evan is as committed to the community of Port Alberni as he is to the quality of his broadcasts says all you need to know about him as a professional and as a person."

Hammond will be presented with the award during an upcoming postseason game (date/time TBA). The BCHL Broadcaster of the Year award is presented in partnership with the Team 1040, Vancouver's leader in sports radio and the home of Vancouver Canucks hockey.


Now - At the risk of sounding too humble or cheesy or any of that stuff...

Please allow me to say a huge THANKS to everyone with the BCHL and here at the radio station and within Island Radio for making this all possible. They do all the work too, but I get all the credit and the notoriety. This is basically the same thing I said at the end of our final broadcast of the season. Thanks to all the staff from 93.3 The Peak FM, and all the staff with Island Radio in Nanaimo and elsewhere that do all the work to make it happen. Thanks to management for securing the broadcast agreements, those that do the logs, traffic, commercials, ad sales, board operating (and all the other behind the scenes radio-business stuff I have missed), Rick Schievink for doing colour, Jolie for doing the morning show when I'm "on vacation to POWELL RIVER or PRINCE GEORGE" (not a vacation, but...sigh...anyways)

Thanks as well to everyone with the Bulldogs organization - Alan Kerr, Andy Oakes, Dennis See, Blair Noel, Noreen Pelk, Laurie Smillie, Bryant Perrier, Chris Shaw, Jess Moser and all of the Bulldogs players. I have always understood and respected that there is NO SHOW without them, so a huge thanks to them for always being professional and available. It makes my job that much easier.

Thanks as well to all the Bulldog volunteers, fans, parents of players and billets as well. It is the support of this group that motivates me to work so darn hard! If I didn't know that we had SO MANY die hard listeners that appreciated the efforts, I might not be as motivated to give it my all!

Thanks to Dan "the stats man" Tisserand for his help in the booth...Thanks Brenda for always supplying us rosters and changes and officials at home games...Thanks to all of my peers in the business that so graciously gave me their time to fill my broadcast space.

LAST but CERTAINLY NOT LEAST - Thanks to the sponsors of the broadcasts. Without you it REALLY isn't possible!

I think I hear the 30 second wrap it up music already... "Thanks to the
academy, and to god, and and and..." OK - In all seriousness - one FINAL word - I really do appreciate the award and the attention it brings. BUT, I have won this thing before already. It embarrasses me to think of all of my peers, and all of their efforts and hours that they put in, and how they look at me winning it again. So please, give it to someone else!

(Not that I don't appreciate it and not that I'm not honoured for it)

Whew...

Hope that came out right!


THANKS THANKS THANKS

Hammer

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Hammer they don't keep giving Nik Lidstrom the Norris Trophy just because they like him ;) You earned it buddy.

Anonymous said...

Oh and btw, God has a capital G.

:)

Anonymous said...

Shawn said it best hammy I am not a bulldogs fan but i still tune in from time to time to listen in congrats bro