Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Spokane Chiefs break Memorial Cup, Travis Cross update, Wings take game 1, GOLF GOLF GOLF, Kraft Contest.

Yikes, hello and happy Monday! I haven't updated the blog since FRIDAY! I might get fired if I keep this up!

Ok wait, this blog is a personal thing I'm doing here and no one pays me a cent and I'm my own boss. I think my place here is secure for the time being. HA.

Of course I know and understand that you the reader wants some new stuff and current postings to chew on as much as possible, so accept my apologies for putting the blog right off the stove (not even on the back burner) for the weekend.

I had a very busy weekend! Friday I was about town doing errands and takin' care of business. Friday night it was relaxation and Xbox time. My kudos to Paul and little Paul as they are most formidable Tiger Woods Golf and NHL 08 opponents. Believe it or not, this was my first ever time seeing the Tiger Woods and NHL games on the Xbox360. WOW WOW WOW is all I have to say. It makes me laugh thinking of the good ole' days of Mike Tyson's Punch Out on regular Nintendo. At the same time, I imagine where these games will be just 5 years from now.

Saturday it was down to Nanaimo to take care of some business and do some shopping for stuff that we couldn't find locally. No more than 10 minutes after I got home to sit down and watch the game I got a call on my cell phone from Bulldogs Coach Bryant Perrier, inviting me out to Sproat Lake to meet a potential Bulldog recruit and his father, up visiting from California. I couldn't turn down the chance to go meet a potential Bulldog, while also soaking up some sun and a steak spud and a bud on Sproat Lake. So out to the lake I went.

It was a pleasure to meet you Justin, and I certainly hope to see you back here soon! My thanks to Bryant for thinking of me and inviting me out there, and my thanks as always to Trish and Tom for the hospitality!

So all of this took care of Saturday. Now what did I do on Sunday? Well, I had a little sleep in. IMAGINE THAT? Then it was off to the driving range and the beauty surroundings at the Alberni Golf Club out at Cherry Creek for 9 holes.

It seemed that I used up all my good shots when I played 9 with Bryant Perrier on Thursday, again at Cherry Creek, because I was atrocious yesterday, most certainly finishing at the back of the group behind my playing partners Paul and Gary. At least the company was good, thanks for the round gents. Thanks as well to Brian in the pro shop for giving me a good tip that helped me out on the tee a bit. I need some full on lessons I think....

It could be worse, at least I don't need a full out swing re-construction. Right BP?

Bryant was giving me the gears Saturday saying I was giving it to him all over town about how bad I beat him on the course Thursday afternoon. I maintained that I didn't say a word around the community. I just talked about it on the air. HAHA. He wants me to put the pads on to see how I fare there. Maybe in the fall I will do that.

My weekend still isn't finished. As soon as we got done the 9 holes yesterday it was off to the ARGYLE PUB for my charity work cooking Burgers and Smokies with all proceeds and my tips being matched by owner Rob Boyko for one big donation towards the Ty Watson House. It was FULL OUT MAYHEM when I got there. I certainly won't be a couple minutes late again, as it was full out nuts there with a couple of very hungry Slo-Pitch teams more than ready for their burgers and smokies. There I was, flailing away with so much smoke from the grill in my face that I couldn't see, being mobbed by a bunch of people drooling for their burgers and smokies. I still managed to get it done with all my limbs intact and a bunch of happy and no longer hungry people. It was great to see such a big crew of people enjoying all the Argyle Pub has to offer, while of course supporting a very worthwhile cause in the Ty Watson House. So THANKS for coming out people!
___________________________________

All the time this was going on, so was the Memorial Cup Championship game. I missed it all, totally forgot it was even on. Then I got home and checked the blogs and websites I read, and I saw that the Spokane Chiefs WON, and then proceeded to BREAK the Memorial Cup.

Here's the story, and below it is the video, in case you haven't seen this yet.


KITCHENER, Ont. Chris Bruton called it.

Just hours after his Spokane Chiefs beat the Kitchener Rangers 4-1 to win the Memorial Cup last night, video of the trophy presentation was already posted on the video sharing website YouTube.



As Bruton, the team captain, handed the trophy over to teammate Trevor Glass, the cup became separated from its heavy base, which then fell to the ice.



On the video, both players appear stunned and take turns looking at one another before Bruton tries re-attaching the cup to the top of the base.



Some in the arena can be heard booing.



Following the game, Bruton predicted the moment would be on the Internet, but he said he didn't care because his team just won the Canadian Hockey League title.



He also figured it would make it easier for he and his teammates to take a drink from the cup portion.



As for the trophy itself, there is good news.



It turns out the one presented to the players was a replica.



The original that has been handed out to the junior hockey champion since 1919 is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.



(The Canadian Press)




Man that's funny stuff!

Changing gears, here is a great email update I received from Port Alberni athlete and Beijing 2008 Team Canada Olympic Team Member Travis Cross, who just finished a Olympic Tune-Up tourney in Italy.


Hello everyone. I just finished my tournament in Sassari, Italy. I am here with Our Olympic team. We all had a good tournament finishing with 3 gold and 1 silver. Heislan Garcia (60kg), Matt Gentry (74kg) and myself (84kg) all won. Saeed Azebayjani Placed second losing once to 2007 World Champ from Russia. Dave Mckay and Justin Abdou were our coaches.

The tournament was not too strong in terms of talent but there were a few tough matches and it was nice to win. I went in with some things to focus on and I stuck to my game plan pretty well. When we wrestle in Iran in two weeks I will need to be sharper with my focus and capitalizing on every opportunity to score.

We are staying in a nice vacation place just outside Stintino on the Island of Sardinia 45 mins from Sassari. We leave for Iran on Tuesday.
Sorry got to go. Internet time is up and siesta starts now.
Chow.
Travis

Thanks for the update Travis, and good luck in Iran. Bring me back something nice?

__________________________________

I saw no more than 10 minutes of the Penguins @ Wings game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. The parts I saw, Pittsburgh was looking better than Detroit, and I thought Chris Osgood was the difference. For anyone that watched the game-Was that the only time the Pens looked good? Was it really a 4-0 game? Do the Pens have a chance?

What's my prediction? Just so you think I'm not cheating as I haven't posted it yet- Penguins in 5. They better get goin'!
________________________________

Last but not least today- the KRAFT SAVOUR SUMMER contest. I have had plenty of emails of support and advice on my entry to this contest. Thanks to everyone that got a hold of me. More to come on this front!

Thanks for reading!
H.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hammer - love the post of Ovechkin calling his mom after IIHF Championship! His mom is a tough cookie...
Love the blog - thanks for posting mine too. Would love to hear your thoughts on SCF; hope it's not a sweep. Love both teams and would like to see a real fight to the end!