Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Canada 2 and 0 as Turris scores GWG, New 'Nucks Unis, A week and a day from Game #1

Canada is now 2 and 0 at the Super Series, and Kyle Turris has scored 2 goals in 2 games after scoring the game winner yesterday on a beauty give-and-go.

I would NEVER hope for Canada to lose, but I'm also hoping that this series won't be over before it even hits Canada. The 5 and 6am start times aren't helping, but it seems like not too many people care about this one. Imagine if they came back to Canada tied 2-2, or ended up going to game 8, in a winner take all game? OH, we would care alright.

Game 3 is tomorrow, 5am. Again, I am blessed with the fact that I'm up at 4:30am and on the air at 6am so I can again see some of the game. As diehard as I am, I will be honest- If I wasn't having to go to work, I wouldn't be getting up at 5 and 6 in the morning to watch these games.



Canadian Press

VANCOUVER (CP) - The Vancouver Canucks have had no success in winning a Stanley Cup in the 37 years since they entered the NHL, but the club may be hoping another new uniform will finally bring them the championship.
About 8,500 people, taking advantage of free tickets and enormous hype, trekked into GM Place on Wednesday to watch as five of the team's most popular players skated onto the ice wearing the new uniforms.
They will look strikingly familiar to fans.
The jerseys carry the most recent orca logo on the front and the original hockey stick emblem on the shoulders. But above the orca logo the word Vancouver is written across the jersey.

The sweaters are in the same blue, green and white colours the Canucks wore when they first joined the NHL

After finishing out of the playoffs since 2004, the Canucks advanced to the second round last season before losing to the Anaheim Ducks in five games.
The enthusiasm from the mostly under-30 crowd and the huge turnout of TV cameras and photographers almost made it look like the Canucks had won the Stanley Cup.
The new uniforms will go on sale next month for $139.95.
''It's really just to capture the dollars from the fans' pockets,'' says Nick Arcieri, a marketing analyst with All Sports Marketing in Toronto.
''In addition to ticket sales and beer sales and food sales, they need another stream of revenue, so merchandise is where it comes from.''
Many teams with great longstanding traditions would never change their uniforms, such as the New York Yankees and Montreal Canadiens.
In Toronto, said Arcieri, ''the fans don't want to see the (Maple Leafs) jerseys change. There have been some artists' renditions and all have been totally ripped apart by the fans. They like what's going on now.''
Every team in the NHL will be using new form-fitting, stretchier uniforms this season, and some of those teams took the opportunity to change other things.
''A lot of the teams are just using this (new form-fitting uniform) as an opportunity to update their logos and things since they're getting new jerseys anyway,'' says Arcieri.
Arcieri says the large crowd at GM Place is not surprising.
''It's considered the beginning of a new era so I guess a lot of fans want to be part of it. A hard-core hockey fan wants to be there.''
Star forward Markus Naslund modelled the new uniform along with Mattias Ohlund, Kevin Bieksa, Trevor Linden and Willie Mitchell.
Naslund was asked how important uniforms are for success.
''I think it's a big part of it,'' he said. ''You want to look good winning and I think this is a great step for us. We've got a new fresh outlook and hopefully that will be a positive thing.''
Bieksa said he liked having the word Vancouver across the jersey.
''It's strong and bold and the material is a lot more comfortable, too.
''When I first heard about the Vancouver across the jersey I was a little skeptical but after seeing it it looks good.''
He said he likes the new material.
''You notice the difference for sure. It's stretchy and it gives a little bit. It's a little lighter and a little more air gets through so I'll probably be just a little bit faster this year.''
Canucks fan Clarice Chow gave a thumbs up.
''I like the colours and I like how they kept the orca but I'm not sure about the Vancouver across (the jersey). Otherwise, it looks fine.
''Thank God it's not red and orange and black,'' she said, referring to the lamentable uniforms the Canucks wore through the 1980s that looked like something to be worn on Halloween.


Now before you bash the Canucks for not changing too much, check out the "new" Ottawa Senators sweaters
Ummm? Geez, at least the Canucks wrote "Vancouver" on the front. Nice effort Sens....

I actually don't mind the Canucks new sweaters, although I hoped that they would have really blown all of us out of the water yesterday with something totally "out of the box" Not so much.....When I dig it up, I will post it later today- A picture of a very cool Canucks memorabilia item from the Hockey Hall of Fame. It is a pennant with the blue/green/white colour scheme and a Johnny Canuck-like character. He would've been a cool idea for the new jersey, but I think the Vancouver Giants might have that area kind of locked down.

I'm not a hater of the "whale" like many people seem to be. It does say "BC" to me, before it says "Orca Bay"

Checking out sportsnet.ca today, I found what I was expecting when it came to fan feedback on the new jerseys. Canucks fans are hard to please, but are also very split in their opinions.

The sportsnet.ca poll question "What do you think about the Canucks' new Jerseys?"

37%- Hate them

34%-Indifferent

29%-Love them
_____________________________________________________________

The Bulldogs have three more exhibition games, all in three days this weekend- Friday in Nanaimo, Saturday at the 'Pound at 7pm against Nanaimo, and Sunday at 1pm down at Bear Mountain Arena against the Grizzlies. After that, it's the REAL DEAL. A week tomorrow the 07-08 season officially kicks off as the Dogs open against the defending BCHL Champs, The Nanaimo Clippers. I'm not ready yet, but I will be!

Things are so busy around Port Alberni this weekend with Salmon Festival that I'm not sure how many of the final three exhibition games I will be able to watch. At the very least, I hope to see you all on Saturday night at the 'Pound.

Thanks for checking out the blog...As always, love to hear your comments or get your emails
bulldogs AT islandradio.bc.ca (replace AT with @....an anti-spam trick one of my hacker buddies has taught me)

Hammer

No comments: