Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

ITS TIME AGAIN! 06/07 season starts Saturday!

Hello, and thanks for stopping by the blog. Well, MUCH has happened since my last post. I guess I'll go along in chronological order of the events. I'd like to promise one thing right now before I do that- I will increase the frequency of my postings while decreasing the length of them, now that the season has begun. I've always said that I'm open to suggestions/complaints etc regarding the blog. I never really had a set idea when I started this thing. Just kinda sat down one Sunday night and tried it out and hit the ground running. I'm doing it for the Bulldogs fans/families/players and BCHL fans and families. Not that it's really geared to BCHL fans too much, but I'm going to try to improve that a bit too.

Here I go writing to much again, LOL. Too make a long story short- I've gotten several emails and in person comments "man Hammer, you write to long on there" So as I said off the top- I'm going to increase how often I post, while decreasing the length of them. Or at least I'm going to try.

SUGGESTIONS? OFFERS TO HELP? PICTURES TO SHARE? COMPLAINTS? IDEAS?

Let me know! Click HERE to email me.
Alright, back to regularly scheduled programming. One more thing before I recap what happened since my last post- Thanks to THE BIG DOG for the picture. Found it and hadn't posted it yet. Of course, Stewie is Brian Stewart, last years Dogs starting goalie. While Stewie is gone, I think there's a message there. Become a star for this team, work your butt off, and you really could be mayor of Port Alberni, haha. Or at least pretty darn close.

What happened since my last post? WELL, Team 93.3 The Peak FM, coached by yours truly, won the Black vs White media challenge game vs Team Alberni Valley Times. Can't even remember the details now....11-7 I think was the final score, I think. What I do know is that the radio station has won three years in a row now. I'm pretty proud of my 3-1 overall record behind the bench. All the credit to the guys though. Thanks gents!

Bulldogs exhibition. The Dogs finished the pre season with a 1-2-1 record. The win came at the Frank Crane Arena, 5-0 over the Clippers. The two losses came to the Clippers 6-2 at the pound, and The Powell River Kings, 6-3 at Lake Cowichan Saturday. The tie came vs the Cowichan Valley Capitals 6-6 at the Dog Pound. I didn't make it to the out of town games, just the two at the Pound.

Everyone asks "How does the team look?" I always say "I'll tell you in January" Honestly, how can one really tell this time of year? Until the action really starts, whos knows. In case you weren't tired of hearing "the NEW NHL" about 9, 756, 456 times last year, get used to hearing "The NEW BCHL" plenty. I'll try my best to not over use it but it really will be a new game this season. With the rule emphasis coming down from Hockey Canada from the top all the way to the bottom, the game is sure changing. It will be interesting to see how the BCHL referees adjust, and interesting to see how the players adjust. A couple things are certain, in my opinion. Games will be long. Games will be without alot of pace. Plenty of games, if not most, will be won on a power play or a penalty kill. At least for the first big part of the season. If you are planning to be a 5 on 5 team- sorry, I gotta say it- WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?. That just puts alot of faith in your players and officials, in my opinion. Starting with game one of the season, you'd better be able to convert on the powerplay. And you'd better be able to kill penalties. Of course if you want to win hockey games, you'd better have good special teams. However, since everyone makes the playoffs this year anyway, teams have a LONG time to figure this all out. Alright there I go long winded again but it's a huge issue. Done with that one.

Avi Walker. See ya Avi, we hardly knew ye. The dogs are again searching for a trainer/athletic therapist after they lost Avi Walker to the professional ranks. I know it's really tough for the team to find someone so close to the season starting. Here's hoping there's someone out there. If you know anyone, spread the word and tell them to CLICK THIS LINK
Best of luck to Avi in the pro ranks.

Lastly, the Bulldogs announced a trade yesterday, sending Chris Demoe to the Fort McMurray Oil Barons in exchange for 1987 born Sawyer Eichel, and 1988 born Jeff Manryk. Eichel played last season with the Spruce Grove Saints in the AJ collecting 2 goals and 8 assists with 231 penalty minutes in 59 games. Manryk spent the last two years with the Thunder Bay Kings Major Midgets. Just want to take a moment to wish Chris all the best. He is a great guy and good team player, and he put a couple good years into the team and community. All the best in Fort Mac, we'll miss ya. So is the name of the game though - friends and teammates and fan favorites move on. At the same time, welcome to Sawyer and Jeff. You two are joining a great organization in an awesome city with some of the best fans in the game, anywhere. Welcome to the pound!

ALRIGHT. That's about it. From this point on the postings will be more frequent, and less long winded. PROMISE :)

Don't forget- the 06/07 season starts SATURDAY for the Dogs in Powell River. The pregame show begins at 7:15 and the play-by-play is at 7:30 on 93.3 The Peak FM. For listeners in the valley- tune in and enjoy. For those outside the valley, get over to the new BCHL website quick, and get yourself signed up for the BCHL Fanzone It's a great service and worth the money to catch every BCHL game game 1 to the end of the playoffs.

Thanks for stopping by the blog, get commenting, and don't ever be afraid to email!

Hammer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hammer don't worry about the people who say you write too much. It's YOUR blog man and you can do whatever the F you want. This is your personal blog to do with how you choose. Compared to many of the blogs out there that I've seen, yours at least has content. If anything, fans should appreciate the effort. It's kinda funny actually, complaints about too much writing. I guess it just goes to show that you caint satisfy everyone. As far as I'm concerned you are doing a fine job.

I have a question for you: What do you expect going into this year without a color man? Is there pros and cons?

Here's wishing you a great season in the booth Hammer and the same to the Dogs on the ice!

Anonymous said...

i was up for the color job but my language was how you say too colorful

Hammer said...

3cp15- great question, thanks for asking. I'm going to post tonight and answer your question.

kris- yes you may not have the best of language, but you sure would be COLOR, couldn't take that away from ya.