Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

No, I'm not hiding, no, I'm not avoiding this!

I'm just BUSY! Really. The loss Saturday and the end of the season was as tough for me as the fans/players/staff et all. Maybe it was tougher. It's over, it was over Saturday, and the sun came up Sunday morning. Really too bad. Any Dog fan or follower would say that. Anyone else would say "too bad?, too bad it didn't happen sooner" maybe. Who knows.

No blame on any one person. Win as a team, lose as a team. Blame the forwards, blame the defense, blame goaltending, coaching, special teams, reffing, what have you. I say blame no one. The name of the game is that someone wins and someone loses. If any blame needs to be placed, blame the Victoria Salsa! They played great and got hot at the right time, playoff time. I remember saying going into the series "they beat Nanaimo in 5, and won 2 games in the Frank Crane, they will not be easy and they are obviously doing something right"

I won't be predicting the future for the BCHL playoffs. I've always said that predicting is for Nostradamus and I'm sticking to that. Who would've predicted Nanaimo gone in 5? Who would've predicted the Dogs round 1 series against Cowichan in a sweep? 10-7 in game 1? Triple overtime in game 2 and double overtime in game 3 and a come from behind-4 unanswered goals comeback in game 4? 2-1 Dogs over Salsa in game 1, 13-2 in game 2, then four straight losses/wins however you look at it. All the self proclaimed experts will all say they know exactly why one team lost and another team won, they'll say they predicted it all. An open invitation to you then- come on here and post your name and your reasons for winning and losing and further predictions. Nameless won't be allowed. As you can see from the BCHL message board anyone without a name is the smartest person in the hockey world with all the answers. Make them stand behind those answers and words and they disappear.

Thanks Thanks Thanks for reading the blog, for stopping by the blog, for emailing submissions and posting comments and requests/complaints. I started this not too long ago and had alot of fun with it. Alot of fun, but alot of work for sure. I'll be posting more in the future hopefully, so please come back. Not sure how much more I will post, but I'm not saying this will be the end.

The thing I regret the most about the loss- my dad won't be able to see any Bulldogs hockey this year. He arrived in Port Alberni Monday. A couple days too late. Hey, even I don't predict as I said already. He was asking me when to come out early this year. March, April, Feb? I told him, "you KNOW Cal, you can't count on anything other than the regular season" The way the Dogs played through the regular season and around December or so when he made his decision on when to come out here, some would've thought that coming the last week of March would be a good time, to see some hockey. Turns out it's a good time to golf. Really too bad. As I said, it's the biggest regret on the season as I look back. He loved the Pound, he loved the oppositions rinks, he loves the action of the BCHL and the quality of hockey it offers. Too bad he can't see it this year. Too long of a drive on a work day to Vic and back. It IS good weather for golf, so that's where we're off to again today. My game may be horrible, but it's the first time I've seen him in a year so it's getting out there together that's fun.

Good luck to all BCHL teams still on the road to the RBC and Fred Page and Doyle Cups. I'll post more on the Dogs and the players and fans and everything in the next little while. Thanks again for the support and stopping by.

FORE.

It's not GO DOGS GO, I'm afraid.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hammer, good to see you posting on your blog again.

Yep, we're all a little bummed out by how abrupt the season's end was but looking back, what a ride!

I sure hope the boys aren't feeling like they let us down (as I heard) because they gave us some great games this season.

I hope the team ownership throws a farewell party before the players leave, would be a shame not to give them a cheer...(Hey, maybe they could do a spiel for the Hockeyville bid?)

We will certainly miss Watkins, Boice, Stewart, Schepers, Timberlake, McEwen, Estey & Scali. Thanks guys for your efforts in a Bulldogs sweater!!!

I'm already looking forward to opening day and a new roster for 06-07...

And thanks Hammer for all the work you do.

The only questions now are: Will Jim Hiller be back? Will Hammer & Ace be back? Will the Bulldogs ownership buck up and spend some $$$ to get the missing piece(s) to the puzzle?

Go Dawgs!

Anonymous said...

Estay is a Rookie were is he going?

Anonymous said...

Andrew Estey is going to Union College (Ivy League) on a scholarship - one year early! Same with Joe Scali. Bummer!

Anonymous said...

wow gratz to them!!!!

Hammer said...

Thanks again for stopping by and commenting all.

I'm not sure about Ace and coach. I read "off the post" and talked to Ace and Jim on the postgame, and besdies what was said there I have nothing else to go on. How about I'll podcast those comments for those that missed them, and we can go on that?

I don't want to speculate or comment for either of them, so I wont.

Back off to the course again! My birthday is coming up, anyone want to buy me a membership to the Alberni Golf Club? I ran it by my parents and my dear Sarah, and they aren't interested in that being my birthday present, sigh.

Too rich for me to be able to go everyday, but I enjoy the sport so much and it sure keeps me busy when I'm not at the rink.

To boot, I beat my dad yesterday! CAL was a little rattled that I finally got him. He was in West Palm Beach, Florida for a couple of weeks, so his game was well ahead of mine when he arrived in Port Alberni. 4 pars in a row on the last 4 holes for me was the difference. The flat stick was was hot.

Off to the course again!

Anonymous said...

Lets get over the GOLF...lets get ready for 2006..2007 BCHL HOCKEY !!

Anonymous said...

Lift your spirits boys by checking out the prospects weekend.
You just might have the most physically dominate dog in the history of the team at the 2006-07 camp.
Look for 230 lbs of mean streak with big show speed, and D MEN making costly clearing attempts due to the shakes.
The package comes with fearless PP screening skill and one of the fastest straight rights up the middle you have ever seen. The ultimate team player and a possible fan favorite.
See you there!!

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I like! A little morsel of information that creates some interest in what this team might do between now and opening day in September.

Don't be shy, let's hear some more!

Anonymous said...

How many of the players who show up this coming weekend even have a sniff at making the team in September? Isn't this May camp all about $$$ for the owners?

Anonymous said...

I believe last year that Ella and Michalchuk...maybe Zolnierczyk were there last year. There were probably a few other players there too that had a legitimate shot. Steve Cunningham who plays for Burnaby was at the Bulldogs camp last year too I believe.
A lot of the players there are likely potential players a few years down the road.