Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Bulldogs Game Day #46 vs Clippers

photo: Shane Power, Lasting Images Photography
Jim Patterson, breaway save vs Ethan Cox

Just got back from the Mulitplex from taking in one of the games of the Alberni Valley Minor Hockey Associations 42nd annual Jamboree Weekend. Pee Wee Rep Timbermen over Kerry Park 4-3, in come back fashion with the winner coming with just over a minute to play. Good job Timbermen! Last night, instead of heading to Nanaimo to see the Clippers-Silverbacks matchup, I decided I'd enjoy my rare friday night off. How did I enjoy it? My girlfriend Sarah and I went down to the rink anyway (haha) to catch part of the Jamboree skill competition. Kudos to the Bulldogs players for being involved out there on the ice with the minor hockey players, it must be a thrill for the kids.

Huge game tonight at the "sold right out" (so I hear) DAWG POUND as the Bulldogs look for their fourth straight win against the Clippers. The Bulldogs look for their 18th win in a row, the Clippers look for their third win in a row after tuning up the Salmon Arm Silverbacks 10-3 last night. Prior to that game, the Clippers last played last Sunday, beating Williams Lake 11-1.

Flashback time. Heres the end of the game play by play from the 93.3ThePeak Bulldogs's broadcast from the last time the Bulldogs and Clippers played.

Click here to listen Bulldogs3, Clippers2

The Alberni Engineering 93.3 The Peak pregame show is on the air at 6:45 tonight with Ace and myself, the puckdrop is at 7:00. Send an email to the PRESSBOX Tonights second intermission guest is Roger Knox of the Salmon Arm Observer. We will be talking about the All Star festivities in Salmon Arm, and of course we'll set up the game tomorrow.

If you are out of THE PEAK's listening area, catch the game through the BCHL's fanzone

Thanks for stopping by the blog, keep emailing your submissions, requests, ideas, complaints, pictures, etc etc, and don't hesitate to POST your comments.

I'm off for my pregame nap.
Hammer


2 comments:

Hammer said...

Ryan
Clipfan
one"o"one,

Thanks for the game comments. Great game, and the streak is alive at 18.

I'd like to let sleeping dogs lie, but I just can't overlook the two missed calls in the third period. One had a big impact on the game, and the other certainly could've. In my humble but biased opinion I was very surprised, shocked even, that the game tying goal counted with Brian Stewart taken out the way he was. Especially after the precedent was set with the two goalie interference calls against the Bulldogs. I thought the Aaron Schepers call was particularly weak, but on the air I said "I guess as long as it goes both ways, you must applaud the official for protecting the goaltender" Well, when it really came down to it and when it really mattered, it didn't go both ways. If the play didn't TIE the game in the final minute, this wouldn't be something I'd mention. But a goal of such critical importance obviously had an impact on the games final outcome. I asked coach Jim Hiller on the post game show about the goal in question, and while he said he didn't really see what happened to Stewart, the excuse from the official was that the Clipper player was pushed into him. That doesn't wash with me. It's hard to remember what exactly one saw when something happens that quick. But what I remember seeing as I replay the goal in my mind is the full shaft of a stick going into Stewart and taking him off his feet, NOT a Clipper player. I can totally understand a Bulldog pushing a Clipper into Stewart, but directing a Clipper stick into the goaltender? No sir. I'm dying to see the video to see if I'm in the wrong.

The other call I couldn't believe was missed was the "creative change" that took away a Bulldog 2 on 1. Sure, too many men can be easily missed by all three officials during the changes. As hockey fans, we see that happen all the time. However, when a team is on a 2 on 1 from their own blueline and the entire building is watching, and a player jumps off the bench right infront of the puck carrier with no one coming off on a change, it was plain as day.

I know Clipper fans reading this may be thinking "stop whining, and stop mentioning these things" and thats understandable. The game is over now. Imagine it was the opposite now. Bulldogs tie it with under a minute left on a goal like that. I know we'd all hear about it. Again, just my humble, biased opinion.

The final thing I will say about interfering with the goaltender to score a goal, and having a "creative" change to break up a 2 on 1, is that if you DON'T get caught by the official, then you're actions are brilliant. If you do get caught, then good on you, haha.

About clipfan's comments of the Dogs and Clippers will be league champs- certainly a good bet. I have no rose coloured glasses on when I look at the Clippers. They are a dangerous, talented team. Seeing what it's like playing in Alberni, and knowing what it's like playing in the Frank Crane Arena, how huge is first place, and home ice advantage? wow.

Thanks for stopping by the blog, and for the comments again.


Hammer

Hammer said...

one"o"one, just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that I thought that the officiating was biased in the clippers favour. I just thought that a couple of calls were missed that happened to go in the clippers favor. if that makes a difference. thanks again for the comments, should be great this afternoon.